Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Don’t use a Stainless Steel Tailgate Air Vent Lock Latch Standoff for T4/T5/T6 on a T6.1

OK, thanks. Is your picture of a different hook - it looks intact?

OK, thanks. Is your picture of a different hook - it looks intact?

If you zoom in you can see the start of the cut I made. It looks like your hook is of a similar design but perhaps a bit more robust. Mine must have bent when I tested it out as was easy to fit but then impossible to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you got the motorised closing on your tailgate?
No I don’t so maybe that’s why you have a problem. Mine cost a few pounds it’s literally a hook either end with a threaded barrel in the middle. You wind the barrel tight against bumper lock so it can’t be moved, then shut the boot catch and lock done. I suppose you can’t disable the auto boot shut.
hope you find a solution.

No I don’t so maybe that’s why you have a problem. Mine cost a few pounds it’s literally a hook either end with a threaded barrel in the middle. You wind the barrel tight against bumper lock so it can’t be moved, then shut the boot catch and lock done. I suppose you can’t disable the auto boot shut.
It’s not me that’s got the problem , just pointed out earlier that there are two types of hook depending on which locking mechanism is fitted.
There’s a lot of people chiming in about using any old rusty nail for the last 20 years never had a problem etc. Not one of those has the power locking unlike the original poster.

I originally posted this thread. Just to avoid confusion I have a manual ‘slam shut’ tailgate. I also no longer have a problem as I cut the jammed device off. I posted this as a cautionary tale as it’s always great to learn from other’s experiences particularly if you can then avoid the same problem.

I thought the soft close was standard on the T6.1 ? I have it on our MY21 Coast. No need to slam it. Close it gently and then hear the soft close motor pull it up tight. Have always been worried about slamming it too hard and breaking the soft close. Are you 100% you don't have soft close and didn't realise?

I thought the soft close was standard on the T6.1 ? I have it on our MY21 Coast. No need to slam it. Close it gently and then hear the soft close motor pull it up tight. Have always been worried about slamming it too hard and breaking the soft close. Are you 100% you don't have soft close and didn't realise?

Thanks for the info. I will have a careful listen tomorrow but certainly haven’t noticed this on mine. It’s one of the MY22 Coasts that seemed to queue jump the Oceans before being discontinued - perhaps the soft close motor was something either dropped in MY22 (on a Coast) or perhaps dropped when supply chain issues were at their worst.

I don't know if you mean me but sorry for my chiming in; I used a hook, special for the T4 tailgate (not a rusty nail ;)). Now I use a hook like the one from the original poster and there are two models: one for normal and one for electric closing help. Maybe it’s just the wrong design or material or bent because the hook and tailgate lock were not aligned. Who knows.

I don't know if you mean me but sorry for my chiming in; I used a hook, special for the T4 tailgate (not a rusty nail ;)). Now I use a hook like the one from the original poster and there are two models: one for normal and one for electric closing help. Maybe it’s just the wrong design or material or bent because the hook and tailgate lock were not aligned. Who knows.
Hey calibusje,

have you tried using t4 hook on a t6.1? I have one in somewhere in my garage, will try it out myself on occasion.

Hey calibusje,

have you tried using t4 hook on a t6.1? I have one in somewhere in my garage, will try it out myself on occasion.
Yes, tried but it’s a no go; that’s why we bought a similar one like the OP. We got even two: long and short version because we found the short one good but it could be more effective hence the long one. I think this is due to the thicker tailgate of the t6.1 compared to that of the T4.

The Brandrup version is excellent when it is hot. If you sleep downstairs when some please us upstairs, it provides ventilation in an otherwise sealed off part of the van. It is amazing when used in these circumstances and unpleasant without.

I originally posted this thread. Just to avoid confusion I have a manual ‘slam shut’ tailgate. I also no longer have a problem as I cut the jammed device off. I posted this as a cautionary tale as it’s always great to learn from other’s experiences particularly if you can then avoid the same problem.

You shouldn’t have a slam shut tailgate on a coast. All the brochures state that uk coasts have power latching.
You should be able to close it so that the tailgate just rests on the latch & a small further push should then generate a whirring noise & the tailgate pulls in tight, exactly the same as for the sliding door.

You shouldn’t have a slam shut tailgate on a coast. All the brochures state that uk coasts have power latching.
You should be able to close it so that the tailgate just rests on the latch & a small further push should then generate a whirring noise & the tailgate pulls in tight, exactly the same as for the sliding door.

Thanks for the info. I’ll take another look today but to my knowledge don’t have power latching on either the tailgate or sliding door (MY22 Coast ordered 1/10/21, delivered 9/6/22). I use the sliding door a lot in tight parking spaces + think I would have noticed this by now.

Hi Andy. So just checked + you are correct there is whirring noise that must be a power latch - although interestingly this doesn’t seem to completely close the door…….(which closes fine manually). The plot thickens though as I can’t identify the same type of power latching on the sliding door (+ now am wondering if it is present but broken). I’ll probably leave it be for now + consider having it checked out if I’m at a VW van centre for another reason. Phil

If you zoom in you can see the start of the cut I made. It looks like your hook is of a similar design but perhaps a bit more robust. Mine must have bent when I tested it out as was easy to fit but then impossible to remove.

I remember when I tested mine, I thought it was irretrievably stuck, and it took a while to remove, but since then it’s not been a problem- maybe there’s a ‘knack’ to it. Also like Andy said, there are different versions for electric doors, so maybe this was the wrong type. I don’t know how they differ but they’re advertised as different. From your zoomed picture, it’s not obvious that the hook was bent any more than it’s probable original shape.

I can highly recommend the Airsafe which worked perfectly for us.

Two different ones from Brandrup......this taken from the page on the club shop.......

"
Two types available:
100 150 053: For use with all VW T6/T5 with electronic automatic closing aid for the tailgate
100 150 052: For use with VW T6/T5 without electronic automatic closing aid for the tailgate
"

Hi Andy. So just checked + you are correct there is whirring noise that must be a power latch - although interestingly this doesn’t seem to completely close the door…….(which closes fine manually). The plot thickens though as I can’t identify the same type of power latching on the sliding door (+ now am wondering if it is present but broken). I’ll probably leave it be for now + consider having it checked out if I’m at a VW van centre for another reason. Phil

Another MY 22 Coast here and can confirm it’s a power latching tailgate.

Another MY 22 Coast here and can confirm it’s a power latching tailgate.

Does your sliding side door also have a power latch? If mine had one it’s broken.

Does your sliding side door also have a power latch? If mine had one it’s broken.

If you have power latching on the sliding door then the catch on the C pillar is like the outlined bar/catch. It rotates through 180o to pull the rear of the sliding door in.20220730_144854.jpg