Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DCC with dynamic chassis

chrissieB

chrissieB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Trying to finalise a cost for what would be my ideal spec on the Cali configurator, I'm a bit stuck with the DCC. At a cost of £1578 is it worth it and when would it be needed.
My current Ocean doesn't have DCC so I have found it does lean and wallow a bit through big bends so would this make a big difference?
Can anyone enlighten me with their own experience please?

Trying to finalise a cost for what would be my ideal spec on the Cali configurator, I'm a bit stuck with the DCC. At a cost of £1578 is it worth it and when would it be needed.
My current Ocean doesn't have DCC so I have found it does lean and wallow a bit through big bends so would this make a big difference?
Can anyone enlighten me with their own experience please?
Heavy duty anti roll bars are a better solution to the lean and wallow. They were a factory option at one point, but they’re an easy and cheap aftermarket fit if not.( If of course they’re not now a standard fit)

I specd mine with DCC after driving the 6.1 Ocean rental last year. The leaning round corners was one thing I noticed and hoped that the DCC would help. We’ve only had it 3 weeks so not done that many miles but I have done a mix of motorway, A and B roads in that time. On straight roads I’ve been keeping it in Comfort mode and then switch to Sport mode on the windy country lanes, and you can tell the difference but it’s subtle.

Lots of aftermarket options available to dial out unwanted road behaviour. The problem with DCC is that if a problem occurs options are very limited and usually require a trip to the dealer. Replacement struts and associated component costs are eye watering.

Not a direct answer but a sort of parable. I test drove the 150PS Ocean, and found it was quite slow at accelerating, although it was fine in urban settings. It only really mattered, it seemed to me, when merging onto motorways. I ordered the 204 version, which drives like a car. Inexplicably the van seems slower to pull out at roundabouts, but with less wheel spin, but I wonder whether that is just driver skill or lack thereof, or perhaps that with more torque the gearbox uses second gear to pull away.

Anyway, I gained the ability to merge onto motorways a little more safely (I think, but accept others might see even that differently). But I lost something of the character of the California, which is to waft along without harsh acceleration, enjoying a different pace of life.

The point is that I realise now I don’t want the van to drive like a car. I don’t regret getting the 204 over the 150 but realise that had I bought the 150 I’d have loved it, too.

I’d still like self-levelling air suspension, and for the chassis to thud less through the potholes. But I am content that I didn’t tick the DCC box. Likewise I’m not noticing a situation where I’m missing all wheel drive, but then I’m never going off road much (although my local roads increasingly resemble farm tracks, which is perhaps a bit unfair on the farmers).

I ordered DCC on my new one, I was conscious that with the sport pack the tyre profile is lower, I wanted it to be a comfortable as possible without going down the modding route, I was worried if I’d not gone with it and the 18” wheels made it worst than my old one with 17” wheels I’d be forever thinking damn wish I’d ticked that DCC box! In reality I think the ride is now better than my old car with 17” and no DCC, obviously could be the placebo effect ;)

$ motion is more than just a system to use off road. It's a sophisticated active system that is constantly used when needed even in normal conditions when driving on the road. Personally for me it was a must have option after owning multiple Audi Quattro's.

Having only driven our new van (150PS, 17", no DCC) back from Breeze at the weekend, I don't really feel qualified to comment but initial impressions are I'm happy without DCC. Our household car is a Passat Estate GTE (hybrid, so 1750kg) with DCC and it's noticeable changing between comfort and normal (occasionally sport) which helps control the roll on twisty roads. However, I personally didn't feel the need to specify it on the van as thought the pace would be slower on b-roads or mostly long distance motorway cruising. I also didn't want to rule out any aftermarket changes in a few years time.

Not a direct answer but a sort of parable. I test drove the 150PS Ocean, and found it was quite slow at accelerating, although it was fine in urban settings. It only really mattered, it seemed to me, when merging onto motorways. I ordered the 204 version, which drives like a car. Inexplicably the van seems slower to pull out at roundabouts, but with less wheel spin, but I wonder whether that is just driver skill or lack thereof, or perhaps that with more torque the gearbox uses second gear to pull away.

Anyway, I gained the ability to merge onto motorways a little more safely (I think, but accept others might see even that differently).

I also noticed the delay in getting rolling, but more so in urban settings (eg when pulling onto a roundabout) and was still there with heavier right foot on the accelerator (same delay but then takes off more aggressively). It might be turbo lag (especially considering I've got used to the instant pull of electric) but it feels a bit like a throttle response mapping also. Regarding merging to motorways, I did have to boot it to get up to speed in front of a lorry and took a bit longer than hoped, but the 150ps van did do what I'd asked with plenty of room/time to spare.

As I say, too early to really comment, but my initial impressions seem similar to other posts and hope it helps you decide what's right for you.

is DCC really necessary? It is a van not a sports car, if you want to go around corners fast then you've picked the wrong vehicle to start with.