Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dare I ? - Double Skin Bellows ; Isotop still relevant?.. Rainbow best weather protection?

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I got here, because my bellows leak and Im starting to think some kind of 'extreme' weather protection such as an external wrap or internal isotop will enable us to keep the roof up in wetter and windier conditions (dont like the downstairs bed and love the added headroom when we are 'popped').

I then thought, perhaps the internal/external argument debated to death on here may now be a little out of date for the latest double skinned bellows design; 1) for its added thermal and soundproofing properties and 2) considering the added bulk of the new double skin fabric that will leave even less room for any extra 'layers' (isotop) to pack down when closed.

So, are the isotops now 'overkill' for the new gen bellows, and secondly,

If you were to opt for an external wrap for those days when the rain is driving into the fabric and the wind is howling, but you still want to enjoy the standing headroom and bigger bed, is the Rainbow product still the best in class?

Cant wait to hear your views and experiences.....

:happy

I would also be interested to hear as well, as I currently have a T5 with an internal thermal top (The Thais version rather than Isotop but the same) My bellow are getting a bit old and fragile now, so have been planning to replace them with the new version, but have been waiting so far for the confirmation that the new bellows are finally waterproof before I purchase them.
So I was also wondering whether I would need to go with the internal liner again, or whether the double layer fabric kind of does that job now, and whether the extra layer would fit with the newer bellows if I did go down that route again. I would have to buy new internal liner anyway as I only have the 2 side windows, so wouldnt have the larger front opening unless I had my current one modified which is another option.
Im also watching for other views as well.

I have had mine replaced with pre 9/11/23 dated bellows, they are a lot better but still leak. Personally, I think the worst thing you could do is cover the problem up from the inside (Isotop). If you're bellows leak the problem is going to be soaked up by the Isotop and squidge out even you put the roof down. I assume you would eventually see the wet coming through on the inside. I don't know how tight it would be with an Isotop fitted, the hatch is hard to close now.

We have gone down the external insulated cover, that covers just the bellows. I don't think there is much between the Rainbow cover and the Comfortz Cali Wrap (club shop with discount). I was a bit put off by the Rainbow one as you have to put in your dimensions, so got the Comfortz, was happy with the external screen cover we had bought before. I looked at the toppers but it sounded like they are thin and noisy if it's breezy. The insulated ones sound proof a bit as well.

My Cali Wrap is very plain and boring compared to that blue mountain range Rainbow cover though.

I have had mine replaced with pre 9/11/23 dated bellows, they are a lot better but still leak. Personally, I think the worst thing you could do is cover the problem up from the inside (Isotop). If you're bellows leak the problem is going to be soaked up by the Isotop and squidge out even you put the roof down. I assume you would eventually see the wet coming through on the inside. I don't know how tight it would be with an Isotop fitted, the hatch is hard to close now.

We have gone down the external insulated cover, that covers just the bellows. I don't think there is much between the Rainbow cover and the Comfortz Cali Wrap (club shop with discount). I was a bit put off by the Rainbow one as you have to put in your dimensions, so got the Comfortz, was happy with the external screen cover we had bought before. I looked at the toppers but it sounded like they are thin and noisy if it's breezy. The insulated ones sound proof a bit as well.
Thank you. Really helpful. Im hoping, eventually, we will get the post 9/11 bellows, but in any event it's still only a tent, so I feel an external would be a handy addition. Yes, Im a little put off by the need to measure, but on the other hand (assuming you do it right) it could lead to a snugger fit?

Ive had 3 vans - first one (T5.1) I started with a Thais internal liner then changed to the isotop to get a front opening window. 2nd one (t6.1single layer bellows) I started with the Isotop then changed it to a new isotop to get the panoramic opening, we always found it a bit of a faff to unzip the front panel to make the bellows fold nicely & getting everything to fit over the hatch was sometimes a problem.

The latest van is the two layer job & we havnt bothered, the bellows already have the feel & light insulating properties of the isotop and I am sure that it would be a tight squeeze getting everything folded nicely.

What we would like is a pair of mini liners just to fill in the mesh vents, we tend to crack the front windows downstairs for ventilation & I am not keen on the drafts & rain spraying through the vents.

With the panoramic opening front it is easy to get access to the outside as well as the inside of the mesh & I am pretty sure something could be sorted using magnets to hold them in place.

Thank you. Really helpful. Im hoping, eventually, we will get the post 9/11 bellows, but in any event it's still only a tent, so I feel an external would be a handy addition. Yes, Im a little put off by the need to measure, but on the other hand (assuming you do it right) it could lead to a snugger fit?
They are all probably pre made for the model required, if you measured incorrectly do you think you would get one that doesn't fit or maybe thay contract you and say please measure again. Didn't want to risk it, they must be losing sales due to this.

They wrap round the bellows and have a elasticated bungee at the back, so they are tight.

Ive had 3 vans - first one (T5.1) I started with a Thais internal liner then changed to the isotop to get a front opening window. 2nd one (t6.1single layer bellows) I started with the Isotop then changed it to a new isotop to get the panoramic opening, we always found it a bit of a faff to unzip the front panel to make the bellows fold nicely & getting everything to fit over the hatch was sometimes a problem.

The latest van is the two layer job & we havnt bothered, the bellows already have the feel & light insulating properties of the isotop and I am sure that it would be a tight squeeze getting everything folded nicely.

What we would like is a pair of mini liners just to fill in the mesh vents, we tend to crack the front windows downstairs for ventilation & I am not keen on the drafts & rain spraying through the vents.

With the panoramic opening front it is easy to get access to the outside as well as the inside of the mesh & I am pretty sure something could be sorted using magnets to hold them in place.
Nice :thumb
Yeah, Ive read the latest isotop is compatible with the new bellows, but by whose standards?... I think the roof is very tight as it is and not sure Im ready to be stuffing more up there...
I have wondered if in driving rain, you will be soaked by it coming through those vents?..

Nice :thumb
Yeah, Ive read the latest isotop is compatible with the new bellows, but by whose standards?... I think the roof is very tight as it is and not sure Im ready to be stuffing more up there...
I have wondered if in driving rain, you will be soaked by it coming through those vents?..
It is compatable but the panoramic opening zips on the roof and the liner end up competing for space when the roof is folded down. Hence needing to unzip the front panel of the liner.

You don't get soaked, the raindrops hit the mesh & disperse into a cool refreshing fine mist of moisture. Beats having an alarm clock.

They are all probably pre made for the model required, if you measured incorrectly do you think you would get one that doesn't fit or maybe thay contract you and say please measure again. Didn't want to risk it, they must be losing sales due to this.

They wrap round the bellows and have a elasticated bungee at the back, so they are tight.
definitely losing sales because of this..

Decision made - I bought the pucerscreen from Darren. Loving how light and compact it is.. will try it out when it stops raining ;-)

Personally, I think the worst thing you could do is cover the problem up from the inside (Isotop). If you're bellows leak the problem is going to be soaked up by the Isotop and squidge out even you put the roof down. I assume you would eventually see the wet coming through on the inside. I don't know how tight it would be with an Isotop fitted, the hatch is hard to close now.

The isotop does not allow any water through, the material is similar to goretex. Keeps the roof nice and cosy, warmer in the winter / cooler in the summer.

The air from the Cali roof vents circulates in the cavity between the isotop / roof fabric so helps dry to roof fabric from the inside out.

Simple design but it works.

The trouble with external toppers is that you end up getting soaking wet putting them on, so then end up with a pile of damp clothes in the van.

Last edited:
Decision made - I bought the pucerscreen from Darren. Loving how light and compact it is.. will try it out when it stops raining ;-)
Do you test your sun glasses at night? I would be testing it when it is raining.

Last edited:
The isotop does not allow any water through, the material is similar to goretex. Keeps the roof nice and cosy, warmer in the winter / cooler in the summer.

The air from the Cali roof vents circulates in the cavity between the isotop / roof fabric so helps dry to roof fabric from the inside out.

Simple design but it works.

The trouble with external toppers is that you end up getting soaking wet putting them on, so then end up with a pile of damp clothes in the van.
On a T6.1 with leaking bellows, where would all the water go? My bellows leaked a lot, my new bellows leak a bit but I'd rather see where it's going and mop it up.

I did look into Isotops when I first got my Cali but there were people suggesting the new bellows were like the old ones combined with an Isotop. Might look again when VW have stopped my leaks.

On a T6.1 with leaking bellows, where would all the water go? My bellows leaked a lot, my new bellows leak a bit but I'd rather see where it's going and mop it up.

I did look into Isotops when I first got my Cali but there were people suggesting the new bellows were like the old ones combined with an Isotop. Might look again when VW have stopped my leaks.
Still would find a way to drip inside the van. Water will find a way :D

I worked out a way to fit Isotop/ rainbow and Kamper Cozi all at same time . Took a bit of working out and not easy but possible . Could have put a Pucer next to canvas ( which didn‘t leak ) as well . Just gone to the dark side after 10 great years so everything for sale . Photos show very waterproof side screens ( from Camper Centrum Netherlands ) and a modified Kamper Cozi for 200 watt solar . |

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

IMG_9312.jpeg

IMG_9308.jpeg

Another thumbs up for the pucer screen - no fiddly straps to fasten, a simple well designed product that does the job it’s meant to! I didn’t have to supply any measurements- just asked for t6.1 manual roof (I believe the electric roof has very slightly different dimensions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back