Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooker/bbq/grill advice

R

Rich Corrado

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting a cooker/bbq device for my California and wondered what you lot used or would recommend?

Obviously we have two hobs in the California but I don't like cooking anything other than pasta or things that don't smell inside.

I'm quite keen on the cadac but I've heard mixed reviews.

Has anyone got a cadac, and if so what do you think of it?

Thank you

We have a Cadac Safari and find it very versatile and is of more use when traveling then the Cobb or conventional charcoal type bbq.

I posted this on another thread.

I've used a Cobb for a few years and use the Cobblestones for fuel, its a great bit off kit and can cook some good meals but it burns for 2-3 hours so just to cook something simple seems a bit of a waste.Some campsites in Spain do not allow solid fuel BBQ's due to the fire risk to the surrounding countryside, some people say it's enclosed so not a risk but I wouldn't want to argue the toss with an irate campsite owner or risk setting the landscape on fire.
I recently got myself a Cadac Safari which has really impressed me with its versatility and its rapid on/off ability, I run it on another Gaz 907 which if needs be can be used in the Cali if that one runs out unexpectedly, it lives under the shelf in the back.
I understand the some of the big motor homes have an outside gas point but then you are fixed as to where you can position the BBQ which with wind direction often being a deciding factor is not always ideal unless you take a 10 yard hose extension with you.
After using both the Cobb and the Cadac I would recommend the Cadac Safari for its ease of use,easier control of the heat setting and it seems easier to clean, they both take up about the same amount of space, ok you need another gas bottle for the Cadac but then again 10 Cobblestones or a bag of charcoal takes up a lot of space for use on the Cobb.
These days I take the Cadac.
I hope this is of help.

We've had both a Cobb and a Cadac and I much prefer the Cadac. Really versatile and you have got a spare gas bottle.

We just bought the Safari and we are so happy with it! Size, weight, possibility to use 1 gas bottle is just superb.

I've reviewed both the Cobb and the Cadac at Campfire Magazine. I loved the Cobb to start with, and was a bit scathing about the idea of gas barbecues. Now, I've seen sense! Having failed to find a decent outside gas stove, the Cadac seems to do both jobs. We're about to take it on a longish tour, so I'll report back on how it does!

I've just bought a Weber Q1200... perfect size for fit in the Cali. Will run on small gas cylinders, or can use the larger bottle in the van.

Its an excellent BBQ, obviously works well as an oven (300 Degress plus) and I also have the pizza stone ..

Well worth considering ..

We used to have a Cobb as there was so much Hype about them but when we used it we were very disapointed for many reasons.

1. We could not use it in Southern France as they are not allowed 2.it is a mare to clean 3. you can be unlucky with the cobblestones as they only have a short life.

It ended up on Fleabay and we bought a safari chef sooooo much better and a breeze to keep clean

The Weber 1200 looks the business.
How easy is it to use internal 907?
Videos show it can cook cakes, pizzas, all the usual stuff, and has electronic ignition, so is a good candidate for the elusive outside/spare cooker.
Anyone have experience with this?

We always take a Cadac and find it excellent in every respect. It has its own 904 gas bottle.

Had the Weber Q1200 (not sure if mine is a q1000) or about five years absolutely fantastic. I use the disposable gas canisters which are a bit expensive but it means total flexibility for cooking.
The same canisters can be used on small gas burners as well (never really cook in the van).

Hi,

I have a Cobb and although I use it loads of camping it is a mare to clean. You can adapt it to run on meths using a trangia burner in the base - this works well but takes a while to cook things. Cobblestones do seem to go off after a while making lighting tricky. Chickens cooked on it are lovely - with the moat filled with a glass of wine and small spuds.

Get yourself a proper charcoal bbq ! Weber do an excellent box shaped small version that fits in the boot a treat.

Charcoal bbq is no no on alot of campsites in Europe due to fire risk.

I use a Cobb all the time you can store enough charcoal inside it for about 10uses all in the storage bag. Cleaning can be done at home in the dishwasher

The Weber 1200 looks the business.
How easy is it to use internal 907?
Videos show it can cook cakes, pizzas, all the usual stuff, and has electronic ignition, so is a good candidate for the elusive outside/spare cooker.
Anyone have experience with this?

You can buy the regulator for the 907 on Amazon, the just get some gas hose to connect to weber.

We love the weber, more expensive than cadac but then different beast and you get what you pay for. Can get the 445g cylinders in go outdoors for £5 each and they last about 3 hours so enough for a pizza and then a cake :).

You can buy the regulator for the 907 on Amazon, the just get some gas hose to connect to weber.

We love the weber, more expensive than cadac but then different beast and you get what you pay for. Can get the 445g cylinders in go outdoors for £5 each and they last about 3 hours so enough for a pizza and then a cake :).
Ooh, Lots of pretty colours too!
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/1200

We have the Cadac Safari and it's great - very compact and has a gas bottle which would be a spare for the Cali if we needed it. Recently bought the pizza stone for the Cadac but not had the chance to use it yet.

We've got both the Cobb and the safari cadac - we also tend to take both away with us. I love the Cobb, my husband loves the Cadac, but to create a full evening meal, we tend to have to use both anyway.