Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Condensation when not in use

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am aware of condensation being a problem when the van is in use (especially building up overnight as people sleep), but at the moment ours is not getting any use (aside from husband and toddler playing in it every now and then which means it gets periodiheated up) and have noticed some condensation on the windows. It’s only a few months old. Why would this happen when not in use and any tips to stop it please!?

My 10 year old Ford Focus gets such bad condensation (not used at all for a couple months) it’s gone mouldy and I’m scared of the same thing happening to our shiny new toy!

(I have searched but only found posts about condensation in use or very old posts)

Thanks!

I am aware of condensation being a problem when the van is in use (especially building up overnight as people sleep), but at the moment ours is not getting any use (aside from husband and toddler playing in it every now and then which means it gets periodiheated up) and have noticed some condensation on the windows. It’s only a few months old. Why would this happen when not in use and any tips to stop it please!?

My 10 year old Ford Focus gets such bad condensation (not used at all for a couple months) it’s gone mouldy and I’m scared of the same thing happening to our shiny new toy!

(I have searched but only found posts about condensation in use or very old posts)

Thanks!
But you are using it, if family are sat inside periodically. They will be breathing out moist air and when the temperature drops the moisture will condense out on the coldest areas, eg: windscreen.
I use Disposable Humidifiers in the vehicle all year round, changed when they’re full. Others use a mains powered Dehumidifier with the vehicle plugged into mains power.

But you are using it, if family are sat inside periodically. They will be breathing out moist air and when the temperature drops the moisture will condense out on the coldest areas, eg: windscreen.
I use Disposable Humidifiers in the vehicle all year round, changed when they’re full. Others use a mains powered Dehumidifier with the vehicle plugged into mains power.
Thank you yes I meant it’s not happening overnight as we sleep as seems to be the case with most of the posts. It’s when it’s not had anyone in for days! Ooh yes unlike the car it has electricity so could plug in a dehumidifier!! Still getting used to this!!

Recently acquired one of these rechargeable dehumidifiers from Halfords.

It sits really nicely on top of the dash (just below the window) in the tray, almost as if it was made to fit (T6.1).

Works really well for us, even on rainy days.

Have you got the plug in the sink & an empty waste water tank?
If not you've effectively got a pool of water sitting in the van already.

I have exactly the same issues here. The screen is soaked inside before we use it. It’s not normal. I’m taking to SMG to fix as they are pretty great. Could be roof drains or windows letting water in I guess

I’ve been using these in my car for several years now. Still working after many regenerations in a microwave or on a radiator.

When I had leaking windows I got a lot of condensation. The dehumidifiers remove water vapour, not liquid. So won’t be effective with condensation on the windows in cold weather. I resorted to using the diesel heater and a plug in dehumidifier every now and then. The above options will also work provided you get the van nice and warm.

I use a Meaco DD8L 8 Litre Desiccant Dehumidifier one a week over the winter for 24hrs. Usually remove about ca. 1ltr per time. Open all the cupboards and draws etc.

I think this was the issue behind the failure of my touchscreen after 4 years. I now wipe the inside of the screen every time I see a moisture build up and have applied a product from Halfords which is meant to reduce the level of condensation on the screen. I don't think it has made a significant difference. I also have a moisture trap....there are various on the market if you do a search .

Some great suggestions to explore. Thanks!

@andyinluton good point but it has never even been filled as we’ve never needed to thanks to not being able to take it out properly! Good one to bear in mind in the future.

Back