Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Leisure Batteries

Just looked at Jamies fitting guide. I'm not sure about the plug mentioned, I thought that these were for transport purposes and should be removed before placing the battery in its final location.

Where did you get 2 batteries for £250?
Close to £250 ... Best I could find today from Tayna £283.82 delivered with 10% discount code from CAMC. Didn't buy them though as my 2010 originals still working fine :)

Screenshot_20220407-153413.png

Just saved myself £200 by changing my x2 leisure batteries rather than letting VW do it :) Thanks to Jamie and his guide at https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/
Just ordered two new Varta LA80s and fitted to T6 California Ocean. Followed Jamie's guide step by step and no issues, especially fitting one of the batteries under passenger seat - Thanks for the tips on how to raise the seat to allow for access. Bought from batterymegauk from Tewkesbury. £141 each and free next day delivery. Massive saving v VW cost. Exact fit and great replacement for factory fitted VW Varta batteries. Link below if anyone is interested.

Here in Portugal I Purchased 2 Varta L80s + 180 x 2 = 360 + 110 Installation Charge Total 470 Euros. VW Dealer Quoted 427 Euro for 1 Battery Uninstalled. Suspect VW Battery is simply re-labelled Varta L80. Pays to shop around.

Just changed both batteries in my California. Really easy with Jamie's guide. A tip for the rear battery, its really tight to get out, and heavy. Wrap a rope between the battery handles to help slide it out as you lift up or it shreds your fingers!

Is there any coding or anything required when changing the leisure batteries on a 2015 T5.1 SE Bluemotion, or is it just a straight swap of the old batteries for new batteries, disconnect and reconnect?

Is there any coding or anything required when changing the leisure batteries on a 2015 T5.1 SE Bluemotion, or is it just a straight swap of the old batteries for new batteries, disconnect and reconnect?
If you're replacing the same specification battery no need to code. This Bluemotion only needs the battery recoded is swapping battery type.

Hi. When I changed both batteries in our T6 Ocean and followed Jamie's video link to the letter I had no issues. Make sure you follow the positive/negative terminal removal and connection sequence. The piece of wood trick to hold up the front seat is very useful too. As mentioned earlier, removing the rear battery can be tricky, I used something to help leverage the battery over the lip otherwise it'll take your fingers off. Good luck. https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/

No recoding for Leisure Batteries, only Engine battery to ensure fully efficient function of regenerative braking charging etc from the word go.

Just saved myself £200 by changing my x2 leisure batteries rather than letting VW do it :) Thanks to Jamie and his guide at https://k3yak.com/vw-california-leisure-battery-replacement/
I replaced both of mine last week and thanks to this thread and Jamie’s guide it was easily done in about one hour. Thanks team and Jamie :thumb

Oh, I also managed to buy the pair of batteries for £286.97 delivered from BMS with a 10% discount for registering on their website.

Last edited:
Back