Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Spain in August/September - Portable AC units?

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

After 2 weeks doing the blustery Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland (for Galway read Squalway), we’re now planning driving from Santander, Porto, the Douro Valley then down the centre, Salamanca, Extremadura, the deep hot south then up the coast back to Santander. This to be done mid August to mid September.

My query concerns the heat. Is it bearable? We have a decent fan. Is there such a thing as a 12v AC unit or hook up version. Is vanlife portable AC a thing?

All tips and thoughts welcome. TIA.

Paul

You may need one of these bad boys!

May be difficult to answer that as everyone’s tolerance is different. At 40c I’m reasonably happy but the misses is complaining when it gets to 20!

To be effective in heat control you would need a large unit such is fitted to Motorhomes.

Option that I used was to run the Cali Air Con early evening to cool all the internal upholstery and metal.

To be effective in heat control you would need a large unit such is fitted to Motorhomes.

Option that I used was to run the Cali Air Con early evening to cool all the internal upholstery and metal.
Thanks
So you would run the engine for a wee while to get the cockpit ac on?

Hi All,

After 2 weeks doing the blustery Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland (for Galway read Squalway), we’re now planning driving from Santander, Porto, the Douro Valley then down the centre, Salamanca, Extremadura, the deep hot south then up the coast back to Santander. This to be done mid August to mid September.

My query concerns the heat. Is it bearable? We have a decent fan. Is there such a thing as a 12v AC unit or hook up version. Is vanlife portable AC a thing?

Paul
Update,
I‘m thinking of overnight really.
P

Hi All,

Paul
Just got back from Spain’s 42° heat yesterday. It is very oppressive, at night the temp dropped to around 25°.

Although aircon would have been nice, we didn’t go there to live inside a tin can. We went to explore a beautiful country, so trying to escape the heat would have been an exercise in futility.

Tip 1: If you can’t stand the heat, you’ve chosen the wrong time of year to explore Spain I think.
Tip 2: Spaniards are all indoors with window blinds drawn at midday. Plan to be in museums, galleries, cafe etc during that time.
Tip 3: setting up camp left me sweating all over, slow everything down.

Thanks
So you would run the engine for a wee while to get the cockpit ac on?
Did it when sun dropped enough to stop heat radiation - just long enough to get everything cooled inside and before upsetting anyone.

In real terms not much you can do about high air temperatures except park in the shade - not a British instinctive action.

Did it when sun dropped enough to stop heat radiation - just long enough to get everything cooled inside and before upsetting anyone.

In real terms not much you can do about high air temperatures except park in the shade - not a British instinctive action.
We are still in Spain now it is difficult but park in the shade roof vents fully open all blinds shut, after about midnight it starts to cool down if you get a nice breeze the airflow through the pop top is lovely soon cools the roof bed
We also use an old trick cold water in a small bowl and the usb fan running over the top it works great

I got the Brandrup exterior reflective windscreen cover as seen in club shop. The windscreen is a huge piece of glass. Our van also came with the VW mosquito window blinds so we could leave the windows open two clicks to let air pass through. The roof is easy to get a breeze through.
I remember Toledo being very hot in the day, but nighttime was ok.

Hi All,

Paul
Have you booked the ferry yet?

Hi All,

Paul
You need this - https://www.kudauk.ltd.uk/product/z...ery-powered-air-conditioner-12v-24-240v-uk-eu

Enjoy!

Just got back from Spain’s 42° heat yesterday. It is very oppressive, at night the temp dropped to around 25°.

Although aircon would have been nice, we didn’t go there to live inside a tin can. We went to explore a beautiful country, so trying to escape the heat would have been an exercise in futility.

Tip 1: If you can’t stand the heat, you’ve chosen the wrong time of year to explore Spain I think.
Tip 2: Spaniards are all indoors with window blinds drawn at midday. Plan to be in museums, galleries, cafe etc during that time.
Tip 3: setting up camp left me sweating all over, slow everything down.
Noted

I got the Brandrup exterior reflective windscreen cover as seen in club shop. The windscreen is a huge piece of glass. Our van also came with the VW mosquito window blinds so we could leave the windows open two clicks to let air pass through. The roof is easy to get a breeze through.
I remember Toledo being very hot in the day, but nighttime was ok.
Thanks a lot. Just the kind of practical advice I was looking for

We are still in Spain now it is difficult but park in the shade roof vents fully open all blinds shut, after about midnight it starts to cool down if you get a nice breeze the airflow through the pop top is lovely soon cools the roof bed
We also use an old trick cold water in a small bowl and the usb fan running over the top it works great
Thanks a lot. Sensible practical advice.

Thanks. Good advice.

Thanks and agreed. I was just recalling being in France one very hot summer when it peaked at 40C and overnight temps were challenging and airless

Hi All,

Paul
Take a look at the new portable AC from Ecoflow. Not cheap and quite bulky but will address all your concerns

I have the Zero Breeze and it works great for me. It won't cool down the entire van like a roof mounted unit but it only uses about 200 watts and you can point the air where you want it with an extendable tube. Keeps me perfectly cool in 35-40C weather!

It was up to 44c here on Saturday, I’m not sure any portable air con would cope. Better off finding shady spots by water, we had a picnic down by a river and in the evening a sea fog blew in and the temps dropped 20 degrees in half an hour!

We are booked on the Caen ferry for beginning of September and come back from Santander on the 25th ish. It’s the time we normally go as the weather is not so oppressive at that time. We have been doing it now for 20 years on a motorbike and in the van and I have to say it’s much nicer in an air conditioned van than in leathers..
Because of Covid like most of us we haven’t been away for nearly 3 years and the last time the weather was beautiful in Spain, sometimes around 35 in the day but cooler at night depending on where you are.
We take a fan which helps quite a lot also if it’s really hot at night a frozen bottle of water straight from the fridge is heaven.
I really wouldn’t worry about the weather being too hot because when you get home you will be wet and freezing until your next trip to Spain.
Just enjoy every minute.

Back