Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cats

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
One of our neighbors has a huge bruiser of a cat which has taken to sitting on top of our van which lives in a carport with a translucent roof. It's obviously keeping warm and out of the rain and whilst we like cats we don't want it plodding muddy paw prints on the roof and sliding down the windscreen and bonnet leaving fur and marks everywhere.

It doesn't respond to water sprays, CDs hanging from the roof, being shouted at, plees or threats and just glares balefully, raises a claw and goes on it's marauding way to terrorise small children and rottweilers.
We've now got one of these as a last ditch attempt to keep the damn beast away. Good reviews so hopefully it will deter it.

Anyone got any other ideas for deterring this furry fiend ??

You need to put something the cat would prefer to sit on under the car port. A comfy heated bed would probably do it. Failing that, park the Cali outside and turn the carport into a catport:)

What if you left the bonnet up?

I would be happy to have the cat around our Cali, will keep any rats and mice away. Just after we bought our van we stayed at Travel lodge we had book before getting the Cali at Monmouth (now closed down) in turned out the car park had a rat problem. Next day we had a breakdown due to them eating the wiring to the brake master cylinder.

Last edited:
Cats....Rats....what's the diffrence..?( sorry no cat lover ...prefer doggys)
Was told they don't like the smell of coffee , in my frontyard the neighbours cats come to make they'r toilet
I now save my used coffeegrain and trow ot between the plants...seems to help!
Cost nothing , give it a try!

Last edited:
On a serious note, does anyone have a good tried and tested solution that works and also stops the cats leaving deposits in the garden.
Since the summer 2 families have moved in along the road each with at least 4 cats. So we have lost virtually all the wild birds, and everyone is complaining about cat poo in their garden and cats climbing over cars and my Cali.
Several seem to like hiding under Cali and one has taken a liking to the roof. I don't want cat pee or claw scratches adding to the issues with Cali roofs.

On a serious note, does anyone have a good tried and tested solution that works and also stops the cats leaving deposits in the garden.
Since the summer 2 families have moved in along the road each with at least 4 cats. So we have lost virtually all the wild birds, and everyone is complaining about cat poo in their garden and cats climbing over cars and my Cali.
Several seem to like hiding under Cali and one has taken a liking to the roof. I don't want cat pee or claw scratches adding to the issues with Cali roofs.

Thats one who gots many myths but non seems to work in my front garden....if i walk my dog and don't clean up afther her i'm getting the whole neigbourhood on my back , cats....oh well let them sh@t in others garden ...no cat owners seem to bother!

Thats one who gots many myths but non seems to work in my front garden....if i walk my dog and don't clean up afther her i'm getting the whole neigbourhood on my back , cats....oh well let them sh@t in others garden ...no cat owners seem to bother!
Not All dog owners clean up. Have never found cat droppings on the pavement.

In the U.K. Dogs and Cats are classified differently under the Law one as a domesticated animal and the other as non-domesticated. Run over a dog with your car - report to police, run over a cat then drive on by.
Haven't heard of anyone being mauled by a cat.

if i walk my dog and don't clean up afther her i'm getting the whole neigbourhood on my back , cats....oh well let them sh@t in others garden ...no cat owners seem to bother!
Our local cr@p problem is from horses. One of the Met's main stables is not far away, and the local bobby on horseback doesn't seem to give sh!t where their mount poops.

Our local cr@p problem is from horses. One of the Met's main stables is not far away, and the local bobby on horseback doesn't seem to give sh!t where their mount poops.

Happens here also ....big pile in the middle of the bicycle path....very annoying when riding to work in the dark at 6am!

Next door has four cats but I've never seen any mess in our garden from them. But we get lots of fox poo and it really stinks, especially if the mower goes over it. I try to pick it up first but always miss some.

Next worse problem is the pigeons, which really like courting on our garage roof and dropping their loads on the cars/Cali on the way there and back :mad:

Not All dog owners clean up. .
Haven't heard of anyone being mauled by a cat.
I have it was pretty amazing and scary, best hope you never do too, from my experience the ferak ibes go for the eyes . I have a cat but I don't like them very much, he is ok as cats go a bit dog like tbh.

Next worse problem is the pigeons, which really like courting on our garage roof and dropping their loads on the cars/Cali on the way there and back :mad:
I used to have doves and pigeons but not anymore since a Kestrel now roosts under my eaves every night. They poo quite a lot too, but easier to clean up than pigeons, uughh.

I've warned my neighbours that I will try and shoo the cat a couple of times, and have been out with a cup of water, but will resort to just opening the door and letting the dogs out in the future... Sounds cruel, but the birds are not bothered by the dogs and carry on feeding off the bird feeders... but the cats, as you say, chase the birds and poop in the garden. Grrrr.

I've warned my neighbours that I will try and shoo the cat a couple of times, and have been out with a cup of water, but will resort to just opening the door and letting the dogs out in the future... Sounds cruel, but the birds are not bothered by the dogs and carry on feeding off the bird feeders... but the cats, as you say, chase the birds and poop in the garden. Grrrr.
Fortunately although dogs are classed as domesticated animals and cats are not the RSPCA considers setting a dog onto a cat Animal Cruelty and prosecute.

I'm a cat lover but I have to say there's a big difference between letting your dogs out in your own garden and 'setting a dog onto a cat'.
The cats will get out of the garden quicker than the dogs would catch them even if they were trying!

In my experience a dog will often come if worse in a barney with a dog.
Not a good option as best.

Oh. And BTW, the ultrasonic thingy was a complete waste of time.

Last edited:
I'm a cat lover but I have to say there's a big difference between letting your dogs out in your own garden and 'setting a dog onto a cat'.
The cats will get out of the garden quicker than the dogs would catch them even if they were trying!
That's not how the RSPCA see it.

You could try one of these

IMG_2509.JPG

You aim it at the cat (it has a laser to aid targeting) and pull the trigger to emit ultrasonic sound waves to scare the cat away. It does work (although not on our cat because it's deaf).

It also has a switch to change over to sonic mode. Neither setting works on pigeons though. :( But I find a paper dart fired through a blowpipe (piece of plastic pipe about 12mm diameter) reasonably effective on them. I've never hit one but they fly off as soon as one whizzes past.

In fact worth trying that on cats, it won't hurt them. To make the darts, roll some paper into a cone with a bit of bluetack at the pointy end for weight, push into the pipe until it's a snug fit and trim the remainder off with scissors.

IMG_2510.JPG

Next post, I'll tell you how to make a cross bow with some clothes pegs, a lolly ice stick and an elastic band ;).

Back