Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt policy changed by VW now 100,000 miles no age limit

I would have suggested that a query should be posted on VW Commercial UK‘s Trustpilot page but VW don’t appear to respond to posts.
With a 2 star rating, you’d think they’d be keen to up their image!

I always thought this was a ruse for dealers to extract cash. The guidance in the rest of Europe has always been 200,000 km / 10 years which is what I was working to, so haven't changed mine yet despite the van being 6 years old.

The other thing to consider is components typically have a bath curve failure rate, so you will always get some failures early on due to manufacturing defects. If you are changing the belt unnecessarily early and often you could paradoxically be at a higher risk of failure than someone who leaves it 10+ years. In addition to this you are also opening yourself up to a mechanic screwing something up every time you let them under the bonnet.

Ok if they are now basing it on mileage only then my 8 year old van now having 27 k miles but replaced at 19k miles I reckon it’s going to be at least another 25 years before I need to replace mine according to VW.
Phew thank goodness for that but not sure if I will still be driving or even around then. But I can now at least sell it with confidence that VW have got this one right.

I noted your post but they haven't categorically stated milage and why they quoted a range of 40k to 100k when I enquired, and what the range equates to.

I always thought this was a ruse for dealers to extract cash. The guidance in the rest of Europe has always been 200,000 km / 10 years which is what I was working to, so haven't changed mine yet despite the van being 6 years old.

The other thing to consider is components typically have a bath curve failure rate, so you will always get some failures early on due to manufacturing defects. If you are changing the belt unnecessarily early and often you could paradoxically be at a higher risk of failure than someone who leaves it 10+ years. In addition to this you are also opening yourself up to a mechanic screwing something up every time you let them under the bonnet.
Excellent assessment :)

I am the same as you, into my 6th year on the original belt. Feel very comfortable it is ok.

I am of the thinking that the closer i can keep our van to factory assembled, the better. Not that there aren't great mechanics around, the issue is finding them.

About to take delivery of a new van next month, and i hope it will be as dependable as this one. On balance they are well engineered and dependable :)

Only changing as the figures work out, or i would keep this one for another 6 years - with the same cambelt most probably :)

I called VW Commercial Customer Services (0800 783 4909).
They confirmed that for my 2018 VW Ocean 204 dsg the cambelt interval change is at 133,000 miles with no age requirement - this is specific advice based on my VIN for the vehicle and has been confirmed by email.

I called VW Commercial Customer Services (0800 783 4909).
They confirmed that for my 2018 VW Ocean 204 dsg the cambelt interval change is at 133,000 miles with no age requirement - this is specific advice based on my VIN for the vehicle and has been confirmed by email.
Having personal knowledge of a belt breaking in a 98K mile Audi A4 B7 car there is no way I would wait until I reached that sort of mileage. Far too risky both for the cam belt and water pump.

Having personal knowledge of a belt breaking in a 98K mile Audi A4 B7 car there is no way I would wait until I reached that sort of mileage. Far too risky both for the cam belt and water pump.
Sounds expensive.
Yes, i think that a balanced judgement probably the way.

Sounds expensive.
Yes, i think that a balanced judgement probably the way.
Luckily it wasn't mine when the belt snapped. The lead footed new owner was possibly his worst enemy in this case.

I had mine changed at 10 years / 40,000 due to poverty and ignorance.
Belt looked and felt brand new.

I emailed VW about my cambelt interval change and got an email reply yesterday stating 140,000 miles, no age mentioned. Think I'll be doing mine at around 80,000 miles or 8 years for peace of mind.

Re: Volkswagen California SE xxxxxx

Dear Mr Xxxxxxxx

Thank you for getting in contact with me at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle UK, regarding your enquiry about the interval change for your above-mentioned California cambelt change. I apologise for the delay in response.

Thank you for taking my call today. 25 August 2023 and providing me with your registration number, it is highly appreciated.

I have been in direct contact with my Brand Support Team and was advised that the interval change for your California is at 140.000 miles.

I hope this information and update on the case xxxxxxxxx proves useful.

I emailed VW about my cambelt interval change and got an email reply yesterday stating 140,000 miles, no age mentioned. Think I'll be doing mine at around 80,000 miles or 8 years for peace of mind.

Re: Volkswagen California SE xxxxxx

Dear Mr Xxxxxxxx

Thank you for getting in contact with me at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle UK, regarding your enquiry about the interval change for your above-mentioned California cambelt change. I apologise for the delay in response.

Thank you for taking my call today. 25 August 2023 and providing me with your registration number, it is highly appreciated.

I have been in direct contact with my Brand Support Team and was advised that the interval change for your California is at 140.000 miles.

I hope this information and update on the case xxxxxxxxx proves useful.
And i got a reply from VWCC as well - see below:

VW California Ocean 204 with dsg gearbox 2018 registered with 38,000 miles

"As mentioned previously, Cambelts are considered wear-and-tear components and are not covered by warranty outside of the initial unlimited coverage for the first two years. In the third year, the warranty is limited to 100,000 miles. While there is no "Lifetime Guarantee" for Cambelts, Volkswagen has transitioned to time/distance intervals for Cambelt replacement due to their improved reliability and extended change intervals.

For some variants, including the one you own, there might be no specific service interval requirement for Cambelt replacement. Certain vehicles are equipped with Cambelts that are designed to last for an extended duration, often referred to as "fitted for life" components. These components can be expected to remain functional for up to 15 years or 180,000 miles."

It was worse. Required every 4 years irrespective of mileage. Finally the ruse is up
I have just purchased a 2019 Cali Ocean and it has 38k miles on it. When I questioned the cambelt change being due, was wanting them to foot the bill tbh as part of the deal, I was told that it was now 74k it needed doing. That was listers in Droitwich.

IMG_0325.png

IMG_0326.png

You're light on the brakes :) Yes, i had an EGR on my T6, but other than that my (T5 and then a T6) have been fine. South Hereford is a little far for me to go, but a combined car/van dealership is probably a good thing.
Edinburgh now has a combined car and van dealer (VW car dealer has taken on vans recently) , thought I would give it a try as closer and only minor service. Never again, insisted I needed major service until I rang VW commercial van dealer who accessed records they apparently couldn’t. They had zero knowledge of Cali specific issues I asked about, and when asked confirmed their mechanics had zero Cali or van hands on experience have only just been trained by VW. Van wasn’t washed properly. Back to my old VW van centre for me.

Oh no. I got mine done last week. 40k miles and 4 years old at VW Croydon.

Edinburgh now has a combined car and van dealer (VW car dealer has taken on vans recently) , thought I would give it a try as closer and only minor service. Never again, insisted I needed major service until I rang VW commercial van dealer who accessed records they apparently couldn’t. They had zero knowledge of Cali specific issues I asked about, and when asked confirmed their mechanics had zero Cali or van hands on experience have only just been trained by VW. Van wasn’t washed properly. Back to my old VW van centre for me.
Oh.
Sorry to hear you had a poor experience. It is a real shame that the back up is so patchy. Makes me dread having anything done to be honest. I try to fix as much as i can myself, but not possible with a lot of things of course.
I am holding my breath waiting for a fully electric California - electric vehicles don't really need so much servicing, so all good there :)

Oh no. I got mine done last week. 40k miles and 4 years old at VW Croydon.
Did you get this done by recommendation by the dealer? I got mine done around 8 weeks ago and was told I had to get it done to keep the full service history in tact. They told me if it was t done I wouldn’t be able to qualify for the All in one service package that VW offer.

Did you get this done by recommendation by the dealer? I got mine done around 8 weeks ago and was told I had to get it done to keep the full service history in tact. They told me if it was t done I wouldn’t be able to qualify for the All in one service package that VW offer.
Oh dear.
Looks like it is one of those times you need to be politely assertive and ask for your money back as a gesture of goodwill.
Looks to be reasonable to me, although they may see things differently i guess.

My maintenance book says every 4yrs no mention of mileage. It always felt ott

This information is pretty clear, with some luck i will get a reply to my email too! Then we can be doubly certain :)
Hi, the only query I would have in VW’s reply is that it states ‘5 year interval on all ‘cars’ has been removed’…..does this include vans? I know the reply is from VW Commercial but have they craftily stated cars, which could exclude vans?.

Hi, the only query I would have in VW’s reply is that it states ‘5 year interval on all ‘cars’ has been removed’…..does this include vans? I know the reply is from VW Commercial but have they craftily stated cars, which could exclude vans?.
I got a reply from VWCC as well - see below:
This is in relation to my: VW California Ocean 204 with dsg gearbox 2018 registered with 38,000 miles...they are answering to my specific query where i state i have a California (as above details).

"As mentioned previously, Cambelts are considered wear-and-tear components and are not covered by warranty outside of the initial unlimited coverage for the first two years. In the third year, the warranty is limited to 100,000 miles. While there is no "Lifetime Guarantee" for Cambelts, Volkswagen has transitioned to time/distance intervals for Cambelt replacement due to their improved reliability and extended change intervals.

For some variants, including the one you own, there might be no specific service interval requirement for Cambelt replacement. Certain vehicles are equipped with Cambelts that are designed to last for an extended duration, often referred to as "fitted for life" components. These components can be expected to remain functional for up to 15 years or 180,000 miles."

I got a reply from VWCC as well - see below:
This is in relation to my: VW California Ocean 204 with dsg gearbox 2018 registered with 38,000 miles...they are answering to my specific query where i state i have a California (as above details).

I find Customer Services to be really helpful :) Very keen to get good feedback, yes, but the upside is they are polite and efficient!

Back