Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California sleepin

Y

Yorkdubshire

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi ladies and gents, had a go sleeping in the van for the first time today (down stairs with the roof down as it was windy) and we slept with our heads near the tailgate. Having tried this way might give the other way a try next time as got a bit of a chill off the big back window. Which way round do you sleep in your Cali (upstairs and downstairs)?
Thanks

Downstairs, like you did...but I have a dog who insists on curling up at that end too...she provides a little extra radiant heat!

Put the heater on! :sorry

There is a poll about this on here somewhere. I bet Hotel California can find it! :D

Don't have an parking heater and wasn't on hook up. :headbang The sun was out and the rest of the cabin was nice and warm but it was just a bit of chill off the Windows, not a really big problem. Just wanted to know if there were any reasons for sleeping in a certain direction. Our dog would be up like a shot given half the chance but she was tired out from running on the beach so didn't have the energy to pester us. :)

Last edited:
Been out to have dinner with some friends , left the forum at approx 18.30u and just got back to find out others saying things behind my back.....
Totaly not done......
;)

Been out to have dinner with some friends , left the forum at approx 18.30u and just got back to find out others saying things behind my back.....
Totaly not done......
;)
:veryfunny All good though, it was complementing your knowledge of the forum! I blame motacyclist ;) lol

I sleep with my head towards the rear downstairs - I tried it the other way but my pillow kept falling down the gap between the end of the bed and the front seats. Upstairs presents a similar issue, the pillow just falls further! However, I have slept both ways upstairs as I will always put my head at the highest end if the Cali isn't quite level. I can't say I have noticed any cold from the windows when sleeping downstairs, but, like Dottie, I always have a couple of canine heaters close by :happy

I sleep with my head towards the rear downstairs - I tried it the other way but my pillow kept falling down the gap between the end of the bed and the front seats. Upstairs presents a similar issue, the pillow just falls further! However, I have slept both ways upstairs as I will always put my head at the highest end if the Cali isn't quite level. I can't say I have noticed any cold from the windows when sleeping downstairs, but, like Dottie, I always have a couple of canine heaters close by :happy
Thanks for the input I think that was the consensus on the other poll. Could you use the net to stop the pillow falling issue upstairs, I know it's just something else to cart around though.
Maybe it's because I'm bald, I'll start wearing a hat like wee Willie Winkie! ;)

It would be logical to use the net but I worry it would be a bit of a faff to get myself out of bed if I needed to in the night - I like to know that I can just sit up and drop down in a flash should the need arise! I have stored my child net away in a bin liner under the bed, where it will probably remain to be honest! :bananadance

We always sleep head to front.
Wife's pillow often fell down so now she has a piece of cord on it so she can pull it back.
Problem solved!
So long as she remembers to tie the other end to something, of course...

It would be logical to use the net but I worry it would be a bit of a faff to get myself out of bed if I needed to in the night - I like to know that I can just sit up and drop down in a flash should the need arise! I have stored my child net away in a bin liner under the bed, where it will probably remain to be honest! :bananadance
That will probably be the case with ours because it will be me up there and our little one with her mum downstairs I think!

We always sleep head to front.
Wife's pillow often fell down so now she has a piece of cord on it so she can pull it back.
Problem solved!
So long as she remembers to tie the other end to something, of course...
Good solution, but I could just see me ending up having it wrapped around my neck in no time.

Hi ladies and gents, had a go sleeping in the van for the first time today (down stairs with the roof down as it was windy) and we slept with our heads near the tailgate. Having tried this way might give the other way a try next time as got a bit of a chill off the big back window. Which way round do you sleep in your Cali (upstairs and downstairs)?
Thanks
Head at the back downstairs - it makes it easier to slide out of the door to nip out for a pee in the middle of the night! Opposite problem upstairs though: it would be logical to have your feet near the opening, but I get a bit claustrophobic with my head at the lower end of the roof.

Now I do all three
When it is really hot, we often sleep with the door open, and our heads by the opening, to get the fresh air
When we have the door shut , we sleep head at the top, so hi can see out of the double glazed window at the stars
And when I go away to cold places with my daughter we sleep top to tail with the roof down, as it feels more spacious.

Back