Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hiring out my Cali

buster

buster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hope someone can help. I am looking to upgrade to a 2015 cali and was looking at the finances and worked out that if i hire it out for a few weeks a year i will be able to stretch to buying it. My question is has anybody else thought about it or actually done it and what is involved ie insurance
Advertising etc
Thanks in advance buster

We are considering hiring ours out next year as it does not get the use we expected and we do not want to sell it. If we can earn a bit from it and pay for our running costs this is possibly the best solution for us, we also have a holiday cottage which we rent out so we know the ropes with chang overs etc.. and the Cali has a much better return than our cottage !

No way i'm loaning my Cali to someone ....if i don't go on holliday it sits nice in my garage ....waiting 'til WE go off ...not THEY :confused:

I'm not gonna let an other tear down my precious just for a few € !

Looking at your info under your avatar you already have a 180 DSG 4motion, I would sooner keep that and have it to myself than get a 2015 one and have to share it with someone! Plus you have all that extra cash :D

The insurance is often a stumbling block on this idea. I'm sure there was a thread last year on this subject, try the search funtion.

I'll post a link to the thread in a bit. It's an option that can work for sure. We went pretty far down this route however due to personal work (getting busier) we decided not to rent ours.

However we got enough interest to know it would have worked.

Last edited:
Hi, We have hired our Cali out in previous years and it works really well for us as we just block out the days/weeks that we want to use it ourselves. With very little effort we cover all our costs, depreciation and end up with an extra few thousand pound in our pockets at the end of the year.

I'll post a link to the thread in a bit. It's an option that can work for sure. We went pretty far down this route however due to personal work we decided not to go through.

However we got enough interest to know it would have worked.

Thanks reserves. I have heard you can get payg insurance and you only pay once you get a hire. Maybe i will hire out for just a few weeks. + £800 per week it will help my finances as for damage i guess hirers take a deposit

Thanks reserves. I have heard you can get payg insurance and you only pay once you get a hire. Maybe i will hire out for just a few weeks. + £800 per week it will help my finances as for damage i guess hirers take a deposit

What do you do with your existing insurance? You can't have 2 policies on the same vehicle. Make sure you inform your existing insurance company before embarking on this project. Some people say this PAYGo insurance is a scam and not legal.

We use PAYG insurance, it is underwritten by Liverpool Victoria. Do you have any details on the scam please?

Back