Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali still the best

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We had a trip to the Newark Caravan & Motorhome Show today and there were quite few T5 based conversions on show.
The biggest stand was Autosleepers who I have quite rated in the past but the VW conversions we saw weren't a patch on a Cali.
£46k for a converted T5 with barn doors, a 102bhp engine, with vents for something all down the drivers side looked awful. :(

We also had a look at the Ford/Wellhouse transit conversion. Not to my taste, looked gaudy (although other colours are available of course) and cluttered inside compared with the Cali. Bits of metal bar all over the place for the seat/bed mechanism and the table.

The roof looks very flimsy and complicated compared to the Cali.

For those who gonna be offenced with it sorry on advance.....but

UGLY !

That interiour i would not take for free....

We have a few Transit Customs on our fleet and I must say they are very nice to drive even in their most basic versions. So much so that we were tempted by the Welhouse prior to our recent Cali change. However, when push came to shove we decided against to Wellhouse for many of the reasons described above

Since then, a couple of weeks ago one of the Transit Custom drivers opened the door and the wind caught it. The result was that something was damaged which prevented to door from opening without fouling the front wing panel. Ford have now admitted to a design fault and the van has to go in for a replacement drivers door and front wing.

This still leaves a question mark over the other door and the other a Transits in the fleet. It's a question of when the damage occurs and whether the van will still be under warranty. Shame really as I think the new Transit Custom is a great van.

As to whether the Cali is still the best ... the new Marco Polo looks very nice, but I had seen it before we went for the Cali again. Others may think differently, but they are unlikely to be on this forum anyway

We did so much research prior to going for the California, some nice conversions are available but our view was nothing was comparable....but then we would say that

Looks like the Marco Polo will be starting off with their version of the Beach - The Activity ( no kitchen ) There will be three engine choices though 2.1-litre diesel 136PS, 163PS and 190PS

Also looks like leather will be available in three different colours, seats look much more comfy compared to the Cali?

10039462142024032251.jpg

Last edited:
If I was 'defecting' the conversions bu Uberbus would be my choice
image.jpg image.jpg

The Cali is so well thought out and really solid build quality. She is beautiful which is not something you can say about any of the conversions we saw at the NEC prior to committing. Definitely in a league of her own. Ok slightly biased as we've only had it since Thursday. Worth every penny

I'm not gentle with Albert. I do not drive off on a nice smooth road, find a nice piece of grass, hook up and live in the vehicle for a week.

We tend to crash about on secondary roads, bash and clatter about off road, wade through floods, slide through snow, survive storms, live through 80 mph winds wild camped somewhere.

I want a vehicle to do all that, provide a comfortable home, be able to cook in when stranded, sleep in without worrying, to keep me warm when freezing outside, to start first time in the morning.

When I was looking there was only one vehicle that said "I can do all that", and so far that vehicle has done all that. Nothing has fallen apart, broken or failed.We came home a week ago, the vehicle caked in mud and salt. It's now pristine, gleaming in my drive, ready to go again on Wednesday.

It has the odd niggle, I would suspect that any vehicle would. When it comes to doing what is asked of it, I feel totally 100% confident that I will be safe and it will get me there and back again. Nothing more that I could ask of it and it delivers.

Last edited:
I totaly agree with GrannyJen and my profile pic probably confirms that :)
I have an opportunity to work as freelancer for Adria Mobil, one of the leading manufacturer of motorhomes and van. On many occasions I borrow their bigger, more comfy motorhomes and vans and I am always happy to get back to my 4Motion Cali.

Nothing comes close to a Cali. We looked at everything before making our choice. The funny thing is that there isn't even a cost saving in buying a conversion. There's an article that sums up some of the options here. Having said that, I do admire the people who, with limited money, still manage to get a campervan together that gives them the freedom to do what they want. I'll never forget how lucky I am that I can afford to buy a Cali and agonise over expensive accessories.

Totally agree with bilberry. We too cogitated and permutated the practicalities and costs of second hand or conversions but eventually went with a new California.
Living it and loving it
:D:D

Would you believe we started out journey looking at second hand Bongos but decided they were too small for us. Then went on to look at T5 conversions (saw some real dodgy ex builders vans still with rubble underneath the conversion), then looked into buying a new T5 and having it converted ourselves - decided in the end that a brand new Cali was the best option. Placed our order on 1st October 2013 then went to the Motorhome show at the NEC praying that we wouldn't find anything better and we didn't. Absolutely no regrets.
:D

My parents have a Wellhouse Terrier (albeit in a far more neutral colour scheme than the blue one above) so I reckon I'm pretty qualified to compare it against the Cali. For me, the Cali just edges it still but it's pretty close and for some specific demands, such as needing 5 seats all the time, the Terrier could be better.

Terrier Pros compared to Cali:

- 3 seats in the back without additional single seat.
- Simple non-electric roof (debatable!)
- More sculpted seats at the back since you sleep on the back of the seats. Hence also a flatter bed.
- More cab options as standard e.g. rain sensing windscreen, auto-dipping headlights etc.
- Front opening fridge (debatable!)
- Split lids for hob/sink
- Over-sink/hob storage cupboards.
- Dedicated porta-potti storage.
- Larger gas cylinder
- Possibility for external bbq point and Gas fill-up.
- Fly-off handbrake so seat swivelling is easy.
- Roof solar panel as standard.
- More modern base van and slightly nicer driving experience (personal view).

Terrier Cons compared to Cali.

- Awful table system. Table-top is stored in the boot and lots of metal work to sort out to use it.
- No electric roof (debatable)
- Cab area (apart from dash) feels inferior and more commercial to Cali.
- Hob is a bit smaller.
- No outdoor table/chairs.
- Upstairs bed not as good as Cali.
- External water/waste tanks so need insulation and heating element for winter use.
- Awkward fill-up (inside drivers cab step area) and drain points (underneath van)
- Less automotive feel in the back. There is some of the dreaded grey felt carpet lurking on a few areas of wall etc.

I think that's about it. If you count up the pros/cons, it looks like the Terrier wins but overall the Cali does feel more refined and integrated I think, and is still the one I would go for. It's close though!

This is a cracking item! I too was almost tempted to the dark side by the Terrier and studied the different options on various converters and the Terrier was looking like a winner. The thing was I thought the Cali would be too expensive until one of my customers bought one recently and I swarmed all over it giving it a good inspection. When you do the maths and really look into it a converted T5 by an independent comes out dearer for a worse base vehicle. But with everything the wife cut to the chase. When I showed her pictures on line between the Cali and the Terrier, her reply was " the Cali looks the real deal and the Terrier looks like a van." Hence Bruce!

The Terrier doesn't come in automatic. That was a "must be" for us which is why we bought the Cali. Well, that and a 6'3" son!

The Terrier doesn't come in automatic. That was a "must be" for us which is why we bought the Cali. Well, that and a 6'3" son!
Also, with the Terrier you wouldn't have a great forum like this one :thumb

Well absoultely, we are gripped!

Well I now feel very lucky. I've longed for a Cali for many years but they were always just out of my price range. I came close 5 years ago just before the gearbox problems delayed delivery of new vans and drove the UK prices through the roof. I then bought my second T5 converted by Exploria in Huddersfield. It had every thing a cali had apart from the diesel heater. Well being a marine Aircon and gas fitter and tester I fitted it myself just had help getting the tank standpipe in. At the time my son was only five and that van proved to be bomb proof and until I sold it last week still looked as good as the day I picked it up. Nothing broke bent or twisted. But I still yearned for a Cali. I'm just lucky that I can afford one now albeit not a brand new one just yet.
So I do think some of the conversion companies out there are doing a very good job but I have VW in my blood so I needed the factory one. Other than that I'd have kept my exploria for many more years.

Mike

Hi Mike,

New Calis can't be order now, pending the new T6 version being introduced.

A dealer may have a demo on order that you can latch onto, or one with low mileage in the showroom they may want to shift.

Lots of used ones about though, look on the 'For Sale' pages here.
But don't rule out an ex rental. These are regularly maintained and serviced and moved on after a couple of years. Being a higher mileage than a privately owned one, makes them slightly cheaper.

Alan

Hi Alan

I've just bought a one owner 2006 lhd 130 se. From sunny Germany the exchange rate was favourable so took the leap. I'll keep this one now see how I get on with it before taking the leap for a brand new one.

Mike.

As in all areas of life , size matters! The Well house Terrier is bigger in every dimension - over 2m tall and wider and longer than the Cali.This was one of the main reasons we decided to go with the Cali.

Not my cup of tea, too much MDF, plus no seating rails

Uberbus were my favoured converter as they are similar to the California. They are more flexible than VW and can cater for individual requirements a lot easier. They do now do a sliding seat conversion on the RIB seat/bed.
I went for a Cali as I could not afford a new Uberbus or Cali.

Back