Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken key and great assistance from VW Keyman

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The silver bit at the top of my key came away from the key. Probably because I had too many keys on there.
I bought a replacement key shell from Amazon, fitted the internal circuit board from the original key along with the original key blade and the Cali opened and closed fine but would not start. The message “engine workshop” appeared on the screen.
After getting quotes for a replacement key of over £200 from VW and £160 from a locksmith in Bristol I rang Matt O’Driscoll, a member on here and the forum’s resident, reliable key man.
He told me that the immobiliser would still be in the old key and it might be possible to remove it with nail varnish remover and not to force it too much because it’s glass and fragile.
It worked! I replaced it into the new key and hey presto, the key works perfect and I’ve saved a good amount of money.
For your key issues speak to Matt. He’s so helpful.

The silver bit at the top of my key came away from the key. Probably because I had too many keys on there.
I bought a replacement key shell from Amazon, fitted the internal circuit board from the original key along with the original key blade and the Cali opened and closed fine but would not start. The message “engine workshop” appeared on the screen.
After getting quotes for a replacement key of over £200 from VW and £160 from a locksmith in Bristol I rang Matt O’Driscoll, a member on here and the forum’s resident, reliable key man.
He told me that the immobiliser would still be in the old key and it might be possible to remove it with nail varnish remover and not to force it too much because it’s glass and fragile.
It worked! I replaced it into the new key and hey presto, the key works perfect and I’ve saved a good amount of money.
Any photos of the broken key/repair, specifically the ‘glass immobiliser’?

Any photos of the broken key/repair, specifically the ‘glass immobiliser’?
No photos sadly. The immobiliser is in the part of the key underneath the Vw logo. There’s a small screw underneath there and it reveals, once you pull the key apart the immobiliser capsule. It’s about the width of a smallish fingernail and maybe 3ml in diameter. Tiny. But crucial.

Can I ask when you spoke to Matt? I paid him for some new lock barrels at a VW show a month ago.. Was going to send them on to me, they haven't arrived, but I now can contact him.. Tried phoning, messaging etc.. No joy..
Thanks..

Spoke to him last week. Pm me for his number if you need it

OK. That's interesting .. I've got his number, he doesn't answer.. I've just bought some more locks elsewhere.. Just a bit annoyed..

Back