Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brighton campsite

S

Susie Sandgate

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions about where to camp in Brighton (as central as possible). We want to stay just before Christmas (22-24 Dec) and the CAMC site is £50 per night which seems excessive. We don't need EHU and can manage without a shower, so really just need access to toilet facilities. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you!

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions about where to camp in Brighton (as central as possible). We want to stay just before Christmas (22-24 Dec) and the CAMC site is £50 per night which seems excessive. We don't need EHU and can manage without a shower, so really just need access to toilet facilities. Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you!
It'll cost you nearly £50 a day to park anywhere near central Brighton, its makes the campsite a bit of a bargain....

£50 … a bargain compared to NCP prices!
If you want to “wild camp” I think Madeira Drive is the place but not sure how lively that gets at night.

£50 … a bargain compared to NCP prices!
If you want to “wild camp” I think Madeira Drive is the place but not sure how lively that gets at night.
We have looked at Madeira Drive before, it looked ok overnight but you then had to pay for daytime parking & its the daytime parking thats expensive.

Having "stealth-camped" in Brighton twice I would recommend the CAMC site whole-heartedly. I think Brighton is a s*it hole, some of the nastiest, meanest people I have had the misfortune to meet have been there, I had a friend jeered at and spat on in a homophobic assault, my own car damaged when parked outside my Sister's B&B and my last place I parked up in, by the Marina, turned out to be a hotly contested piece of territory fought over by dogging couples and drug dealers.

If I was to stealth camp it would be relatively out of town at Stanmer Park and despite it's proximity to the much maligned Moulscombe estate, everyone I have met from Moulscombe has had a heart of gold, but then I am related to two of the biggest families on the estate :D

Pay the 50 quid and call it a Christmas treat to have a restful night and decent facilities, supporting the site at a time of year when business is pretty slow.

This is no use whatsoever () as its closed this time of year - but if anyone wants a chilled campsite in the regular months near Brighton this is a great spot:

What they all said ⏫

(apart from the bit about Brighton being a ️️️brown hole, which is only true of some 'select' locations)

These days you see parked-up 'motorcaravans' of all shapes and sizes parked at the roadside from the Marina to West Hove, but unless you're an extreme kind of "people-person" it doesn't look likely to be much fun.

And as has been noted, there is no free on-street parking in town.

What they all said ⏫

(apart from the bit about Brighton being a ️️️brown hole, which is only true of some 'select' locations)

These days you see parked-up 'motorcaravans' of all shapes and sizes parked at the roadside from the Marina to West Hove, but unless you're an extreme kind of "people-person" it doesn't look likely to be much fun.

And as has been noted, there is no free on-street parking in town.

Seagulls are doing well though, :D

We have stayed at the CAMC site a few times. Unfortunately sites are becoming more expensive, but then you get the facilities and safety.

It is a bit of a walk, but we enjoy walking.

Also we found that the road leading to the site does get frequented with travellers and other free campers. A couple of years ago, the site managers told us that they had caught some trying to get in to the site to access showers etc, so they had to do more for security.

Brighton is going to get busy (and it always is). I'd suck up the relatively small cost knowing that you are secure and safe.

Last edited:
Having "stealth-camped" in Brighton twice I would recommend the CAMC site whole-heartedly. I think Brighton is a s*it hole, some of the nastiest, meanest people I have had the misfortune to meet have been there, I had a friend jeered at and spat on in a homophobic assault, my own car damaged when parked outside my Sister's B&B and my last place I parked up in, by the Marina, turned out to be a hotly contested piece of territory fought over by dogging couples and drug dealers.

If I was to stealth camp it would be relatively out of town at Stanmer Park and despite it's proximity to the much maligned Moulscombe estate, everyone I have met from Moulscombe has had a heart of gold, but then I am related to two of the biggest families on the estate :D
I live in Brighton and I’m not nasty or mean. Pretty rude comments

Someone has suggested Stanmer Park which is lovely but they have now stopped all overnight camping in the park so I would not recommend it

Jack and Jill windmills bus ride to Brighton from there at the bottom of the hill

I live in Brighton and I’m not nasty or mean. Pretty rude comments

I did not say the people of Brighton, quite the opposite, even saying the people on the much-maligned Moulscoombe estate are the salt of the Earth,

However, in the context of stealth camping, it is not somewhere I would recommend. For as long as I have had an association with the place it has ben a magnet for rumble tourism, and I can go back to remembering a couple of very unpleasant riots during the mods and rocker days.Then there was the gay bashing era which attracted some very nasty people to Brighton, so much so that my sister, who owned a guesthouse in Kemptown, had to give her guests a leaflet on where to avoid.Then there were the lovely people from the EDL who decided to make Brighton their holiday destination, strangely coinciding with gay pride, and I would not be surprised if it was a group of their lovely members who dragged my friend out of the foyer of the Holiday inn on Kingsway and nearly beat the life out of her.

There's nothing wrong with Brighton but there is a lot wrong with some of the horrible people it attracts, something the city council was discussing not so long ago as Brighton was becoming the Mecca for itinerant rough sleepers, some of whom were being quite unpleasant, mostly in the Queens road and Kingsway areas.