Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brief Case Solar Panels

A

aileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello all you informative people. VW advised me not to put solar panels on my Cali. I was wondering if any of you have used the brief case size of 12 Volt panels. They are mainly used as trickle chargers but I heard that they should work to keep the leisure batteries full enough to be able to keep computers, iphone etc charged up and allow the use of lights when one is not plugged in to electricity. If anyone uses them are they hard to connect? What specs should one look for???

There is some good information in this thread: http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/off-hook-up-stays-and-portable-solar-panels.9238/#post-84771

The leisure batteries should be good for a long weekend.

Solar panels are improving, but personally I would probably go for just running the engine for a while every day.

Even better go for a drive. Even if we are staying in one place for more than a weekend we tend to drive the cali to the beach, supermarket, local land mark, and this will keep the engine and leisure batteries topped up.

T

The other option of course is charge your laptop or phone directly from the solar panel :)

Hello all you informative people. VW advised me not to put solar panels on my Cali. I was wondering if any of you have used the brief case size of 12 Volt panels. They are mainly used as trickle chargers but I heard that they should work to keep the leisure batteries full enough to be able to keep computers, iphone etc charged up and allow the use of lights when one is not plugged in to electricity. If anyone uses them are they hard to connect? What specs should one look for???

I too remain interested in this option.
I added a roof mounted panel to my last (DIY) camper van and it was brilliant keeping the batteries topped up so no need to either plug in to the mains (as I do now) or go for a drive for this purpose.
I really miss the roof solar but in view of expected issues with the roof will not be fitting one.
Any solution to temporarily attach a charger panel would be very welcome but many smaller briefcase panels provide very low current charge capability. However sitting one on the dash might over time grab sufficient UV to make a significant difference.
I will keep looking - worth a few £ to get a solution to this.

This looks possible -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40W-foldi...561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d7bda999

Charger / regulator seems a necessity to avoid over charging.

Format is flexible - expect it would still sit on a dash ok - 1m long unfolded - possibly work as a heat screen too!
Need a connection directly to a leisure battery - under the passenger seat somehow...
It isn't that cheap.
However if it is a true 40w from efficient solar panels that should do the trick if left in place whilst vehicle stationary. The roof mounted 80w I used to have kept me going without ever needing a hookup.

I have asked seller a few questions (connectivity, suitability) will see what they say.

Will keep looking.

Last edited:
a timely reply form the supplier of the panels pointing out something that I had wondered about - using the solar panel behind glass (the windscreen) will drop up to 50% of the charge capability. Still may be worth it if left in place for an extended period of time?
I so wish I could put one back on the roof - that was a really good solution.

Update from solar panel supplier - behind glass its not worth the effort. Damn.
But appreciate his honesty and knowledge.
So its on the roof (warranty problems) or on the ground (not secure / could get blown away / trailing wires) or not at all.

Problem with panels in windscreen is they will get hot & they all loose efficiency in heat. Also 40 watts is not really going to put much charge into batteries.

Sent from my SM-G900F

What about some form of suction fitment on the roof or using the roof rail attachments.

What about some form of suction fitment on the roof or using the roof rail attachments.

Could work , but think that you will higher the Cali up and over the 2m resulting in not entering parkinglots with 2 restriction and paying more toll on the Frech autoroutes,...
They specialy place ultra thin panels on vans just for this reson.

This was my solution on our previous van. Standard flexible panel on a home made frame fitted to the roof rails. Still went under the 2m barriers on the tolls as well.
I'll be fitting the panel permanently onto our new van when I get round to it.

Briwy, nicely done!

Which panel manufacturer did you go for and where do the wires enter the van? Also where's the voltage regulator sited?

Absolutely looking to do what briwy has done.... Thin panels in roof tracks that do not raise profile above 2 m and plug in through the tailgate and attach to leisure battery ... Please do show how this can best be done...

This was my solution on our previous van. Standard flexible panel on a home made frame fitted to the roof rails. Still went under the 2m barriers on the tolls as well.
I'll be fitting the panel permanently onto our new van when I get round to it.

Nice job - I had wondered about similar and the the use of low profile (12mm ?) ali to frame the panel keeps the the height <2m.
How is the panel/frame bolted thru to the roof rails?

The tricky bit is the connection from roof to regulator and I wonder if an alternative to duct tape is a connector that is connected up when the vehicle is stationary. (sure as hell wont be a drill involved!).

100w is bound to make a significant difference especially to battery longevity.

Great job - useful pics - renewed my enthusiasm for sure.

Few more pictures here. Note that this was a temporary installation but worked well. I was a bit concerned about the holding nuts coming loose and kept checking them but they were fine over about 2500miles.
The new van will have a more permanent setup with the panel bonded to the roof and no duct tape. I think I have sussed out how to get the wiring into the van with just one hole (not through the roof panel). If it works out OK I'll post some pictures.

Round washers cut down

Bolts welded to the washers. These were then sprayed with silver Hammerite.

Fixings slid into the roof channels

More round washers cut down to spread the load and stop the nuts pulling through. Spring washers fitted to prevent the nuts coming loose.

Wiring into the van

And across the top of the rear cupboard

Hope this helps.

Few more pictures here. Note that this was a temporary installation but worked well. I was a bit concerned about the holding nuts coming loose and kept checking them but they were fine over about 2500miles.
The new van will have a more permanent setup with the panel bonded to the roof and no duct tape. I think I have sussed out how to get the wiring into the van with just one hole (not through the roof panel). If it works out OK I'll post some pictures.

Round washers cut down

Bolts welded to the washers. These were then sprayed with silver Hammerite.

Fixings slid into the roof channels

More round washers cut down to spread the load and stop the nuts pulling through. Spring washers fitted to prevent the nuts coming loose.

Wiring into the van

And across the top of the rear cupboard

Hope this helps.

Brilliant! Thanks very much for these extra pics - saves a lot of head scratching.
Intrigued to know how you might permanently channel the wires in - do please update.

many thanks.

T
Brilliant! Thanks very much for these extra pics - saves a lot of head scratching.
Intrigued to know how you might permanently channel the wires in - do please update.

many thanks.

Thank all of you so much. Looks like Briwy is so handy with fixing on his panels. Afraid I am hopeless in the DIY department. Had hoped that there was a possibility of setting a brief case panel out in the sun while sitting around on hot mornings. Didn't know how to transfer the energy to charge leisure batteries etc. interesting read.

Following on from my previous installation I have now fitted the panel on our new van.
The installation is generally as before but with a modified (I think better) way of getting the wiring into the van.
When I get more time the panel will be turned round and Sikaflexed to the roof. I shall then drill a small (10mm) hole with a grommet in the roof panel so that the wires will come staright down to the tube.
New way to get the wires in requires drilling two holes as follows.

10mm hole drilled from the inside

View from the outside

A piece of 10mm plastic tube is then gently tapped into the hole

Next another 10mm hole through the roof base and fitted with a grommet

The wiring can now be fed through from the outside

And into the top of the rear cupboard

From there is was basically a copy of what I did before but with a proper MPPT controller to get the best from the panel.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of fitting a panel. Bit scary drilling the first hole, just needs careful positioning.
All working well, I just need to get some silicon sealer to put round the tube to make sure it's completely weatherproof.

Thanks. Excellent info here. Once my roof corrosion sorted this is next project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a more propriotory solution is required for the bolt/welded washer then Thule (cycle carriers) do a bolt designed for roof bars with a slot in the upper face. Exactly the same idea. I think Halfords do them also for their own brand of bike carrier.

Any electrical info on the performance of these panels?

S.

Back