Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot will not shut

Martynl123

Martynl123

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
help, just arrived on site opened boot. Set up. Now trying to close the boot and the latch will not catch.

Is the lock in an unlatched or latched state? Will the boot close but not stay closed?
Any effect at all with the centre button of the key fob?
I have had a boot catch (not in Cali) move to a locked position and need manually pushing back - similar?

Try pulling the handle up again to reset the catch

The boot will close but not stay closed. The motorised latch is trying to close it but not getting it.

The motor keeps making a noise, this may be May be nothing to do with it but we have the back wheels on chocks.

lift the tailgate up and push the catch shut by hand if you can then open it again with the handle

Tried that but it just flings back open. Will not stay locked.

We had this with the side door once. Kept closing it and it just bounced back.
I seem to remember a combination of starting the engine and locking / unlocking via the fob solved it.
Never happened again since.
Good luck.

Tried a few things. And it is doing just how Archie describes. Bouncing back.

Have you tried locking and unlocking and closing the boot inbetween?
My wife says it has happened a few times on the side door (unbeknown to me!) when she pressed the lock button before the kids have shut the side door. She has always managed to fix it by locking and unlocking.
Hope you manage to sort it and can enjoy your weekend.

Another day of trying different things. Slept with the boot held shut with a peice of string.

How old is the Cali , new or second hand?

Try and post pics of the mecanism on door and reciver...as it is now
We can compare with ours and see of we can spot a default by a picture
Worth a try , no?

Last edited:
May be completely irrelevant but my old car used to do this sometimes in the winter - it unlatched a few times whilst I was driving, setting the internal warning alarm off which was pretty daunting. It turned out the locking mechanism was greesy/salty from the roads and needed a good poke-about clean with a rag to fix the problem. Might be worth a try if you haven't already...

Had it sorted at a local vw commercial centre. Various things had gone to cause other things to break. The latch mechanism had disintegrated that is why it would not lock.

Cool you sorted it. Not a very old van for the latch mechanism to disintegrate?

Had it sorted at a local vw commercial centre. Various things had gone to cause other things to break. The latch mechanism had disintegrated that is why it would not lock.

Glad it's sorted.

I'm assuming they had to remove all the rear door trim (Seat bag etc) to get to the mechanism... Nightmare.

Well it has been an interesting weekend .. Engine light is now on. Good ol Google and this forum being searched.

Yep, 4 months left on the warranty that came with it as I got it from a vw van centre. I think the warning signs may be the egr valve. But it will need testing.

Vw assist have been out and confirmed it is the egr valve, now at the sheffield van centre having the work done under warranty

Great news you are still within warranty, could of been a ticking time bomb otherwise .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back