Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Black cover for the gas is stuck - any ideas?

• Thread starter RobertCalifornia
  • Start date
RobertCalifornia

RobertCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I'm on an idyllic campsite in the French Alps, and the only thing preventing this actually being utopia is that I can't get the black circular cover that enables access to the gas to fully unscrew - and therefore face the prospect of a tea-less holiday!

I can turn it so it is loose, but then it gets stuck fast after half a turn. It feels like something (I suspect the metal connector) inside the chamber is jammed up against it preventing further unscrewing.

I don't think there is another way to access the chamber (that is the point, I think!) so am out of ideas.

Any advice?

IMG_5676.jpeg

If there’s something jammed then a few taps from a peg mallet in various places whilst turning might bounce it out of the way. Start fairly soft and work up.

I know search is a challenge at the moment.

You could try tapping it with a rubber tent peg mallet or taking the van for a quick drive over a bumpy surface to see if either will dislodge the suspected metal connector.

I'm on an idyllic campsite in the French Alps, and the only thing preventing this actually being utopia is that I can't get the black circular cover that enables access to the gas to fully unscrew - and therefore face the prospect of a tea-less holiday!

I can turn it so it is loose, but then it gets stuck fast after half a turn. It feels like something (I suspect the metal connector) inside the chamber is jammed up against it preventing further unscrewing.

I don't think there is another way to access the chamber (that is the point, I think!) so am out of ideas.

Any advice?

View attachment 112424
It's the gas tap/regulator jamming the lid. Brute force is the only option.

Thanks all. I managed to get it off by reversing my strategy - I had been pushing down hard to try and get traction and force through the blockage. I tried pulling up and twisting and it worked.

The mallet and drive over rough ground were next on the list if that hadn't worked.

Thanks for the link to the existing thread @yossarian. I had done a quick search for 'gas cover' but the search results didn't reveal anything useful.

Back