Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BEWARE - California Beach Reg GU72 CFF

Hi, it drops both sides. I only use the van when it's warm, and it happens then. Getting ready for a trip to Spain and if it happens I will keep calling out VW Assist, so they will have a record of it. VW and Eurovans have not been very forthcoming with a fix to date. It feels like they are limping along until the warranty runs out.
That’s because it needs a new pump, what have they done so far. Even out of ward it still has to. E fixed as they have failed in warranty.

I have to pull you up here, what do you mean by a few owners have reliability issues? There are more than "a few" on here and VW has denied any other owners had similar problems with the collapsing roof to me. Mr Bates had a similar experience with the Post Office it seems.
I think the challenge with the collapsing roof is where it sits within their “acceptable criteria” (to VW, not customers!), ie so much sag allowed. Not saying it’s ideal of course! I don’t know that specific issue in detail, but doesn’t the roof repressurise if it drops too much? Or is that only if it drops the same amount on both sides?

My point was referring to more complex issues where repeat random repairs isn’t solving the problem. In the sagging roof cases I expect a new pump unit would probably solve it.

I have to pull you up here, what do you mean by a few owners have reliability issues? There are more than "a few" on here and VW has denied any other owners had similar problems with the collapsing roof to me. Mr Bates had a similar experience with the Post Office it seems.
The Forum gives a very distorted view of vehicle problems. How many owners have posted that they have no problems with their vehicles? Very few, if any.
VW will have a fix BUT it depends on the Dealership to carry out the diagnosis and inform VW . If they fail to do this then the owner has a problem.

Just because a few owners have some serious reliability issues doesn't mean it's endemic (either within a specific vehicle or a wider brand). As above with the Mercedes example, it sounds like the problem was diagnosis not repair as such. I suspect the same with the OP. I realise the OP is frustrated, but it's unlikely (I would have thought) for VW to "bodge repair" because while the vehicle is well within warranty, that dealer would be accountable for any subsequent failings and if these were due to poor workmanship, I suspect the dealership themselves would have to shoulder the cost, rather than it being recharged to VW UK as warranty work would be normally. In the case of the OP I wouldn't be surprised if there's been an internal standoff where the dealership keeps saying to VW UK "we have tried x and y, still doesn't work, can you authorise a new engine" (or some other major overhaul), VW UK then says "no, we're not authorising that, too expensive, keep looking". Rinse and repeat, not that it helps the poor customer in all of this of course!
As you can see from the invoice (that I had to do a Data Subject Access Request to get hold of a copy of as it wasn’t payable by me with the vehicle being under warranty) the “modification for water ingress into the control unit” (probably caused by the second air conditioning evaporator I specced as an £875 option) was the addition of “foam” to soak up the water. If that doesn’t constitute a “bodge repair” which didn’t work, I’m not sure what does…

IMG_3157.png

As you can see from the invoice (that I had to do a Data Subject Access Request to get hold of a copy of as it wasn’t payable by me with the vehicle being under warranty) the “modification for water ingress into the control unit” (probably caused by the second air conditioning evaporator I specced as an £875 option) was the addition of “foam” to soak up the water. If that doesn’t constitute a “bodge repair” which didn’t work, I’m not sure what does…

View attachment 118481
Just to add, in fairness to the dealer, this was the “fix” that they were instructed to carry out by VW UK

EV supply most, if not all the discounted DtD Calis. Apart from the sales staff, they probably haven't got enough back up staff, they sell alot of Calis! As the saying goes, perhaps it's "You get what you pay for"
“You get what you pay for?” I paid £69,076.12 for it brand new. I’ve had £500 sheds/bangers in the past that were more reliable and didn’t leave me stranded on numerous occasions

The Forum gives a very distorted view of vehicle problems. How many owners have posted that they have no problems with their vehicles? Very few, if any.
This is very true. I suspect a high proportion of new sign-ups on this (and other) forums will be "Hi everyone, I hope you can help me with this problem . . . "

We had a similar issue with a vw Touareg. It was just out of warranty and the response we got was that the problem couldn’t happen. It randomly shut down completely with no warning. In the end we had to trade it in for a massive loss for another vw (Passat) and they just dumped it in an auction. Guess what it did at 70mph on a motorway on the way there…. They still sold it

Eurovans are the worst dealer I’ve ever had the misfortune of buying anything from. Despite a catalogue of issues, they offered to very generously take it back for £10k less than I paid for it. Fortunately, the vehicle was purchased subject to finance and the FOS saw things differently saying that VWFS had to pay me back my deposit in full and cancel the outstanding finance
Sorry to read this but couldn’t agree more, EV Crawley couldn’t be trusted with a simple service. They contaminated my brake fluid in the master cylinder and were supposed to fix the air con. I collected my Cali and drove 5 miles home to find the air con still not working so drove straight back. They reacted badly and unscrewed the master cylinder cap to a gush of fluid pouring out, I parked in a bay with the front of the van elevated so they obviously topped it up (requested 2 year fluid change) whilst it was there and not in the service area. The claimed the air con was working but they didn’t charge for any parts just gas recharge!

I refused to take it back because of their incompetence (they offered to drive my Cali to their Eastbourne dealership because they had an expert mechanic working there) so took it to SMG Tonbridge who confirmed the fault with the air con as a burnt out pollution sensor and asked me if I could smell burning plastic recently which I had. They then flushed the brake fluid out and replaced it. Great dealer SMG.

On collection the air con worked immediately and the brakes felt great.

Should have taken EV to court but didn’t need the stress over a couple hundred pounds, I changed the oil myself because I didn’t want to chance them not changing it on that service. Don’t trust them or their customer service manager, chocolate teapots!

Sorry to read this but couldn’t agree more, EV Crawley couldn’t be trusted with a simple service. They contaminated my brake fluid in the master cylinder and were supposed to fix the air con. I collected my Cali and drove 5 miles home to find the air con still not working so drove straight back. They reacted badly and unscrewed the master cylinder cap to a gush of fluid pouring out, I parked in a bay with the front of the van elevated so they obviously topped it up (requested 2 year fluid change) whilst it was there and not in the service area. The claimed the air con was working but they didn’t charge for any parts just gas recharge!

I refused to take it back because of their incompetence (they offered to drive my Cali to their Eastbourne dealership because they had an expert mechanic working there) so took it to SMG Tonbridge who confirmed the fault with the air con as a burnt out pollution sensor and asked me if I could smell burning plastic recently which I had. They then flushed the brake fluid out and replaced it. Great dealer SMG.

On collection the air con worked immediately and the brakes felt great.

Should have taken EV to court but didn’t need the stress over a couple hundred pounds, I changed the oil myself because I didn’t want to chance them not changing it on that service. Don’t trust them or their customer service manager, chocolate teapots!
Just the comments on this thread about EV is eye-opening let alone the separate posts and threads elsewhere on this forum.

EV (now part of the JCB group) seem to believe otherwise from their social media postings. Rather than reply to comments they also prefer to just delete them…always a good sign.

View attachment 118481
Work done at Breeze Poole?

Eeeeeeeeekkkk - they’re my Cali dealer, I’ve never been very confident in their workmanship on the many issues I’ve had with the Cali, no where near as serious as yours. Well, now I know for sure.

I hope you get a new campervan sorted soon.

Eeeeeeeeekkkk - they’re my Cali dealer, I’ve never been very confident in their workmanship on the many issues I’ve had with the Cali, no where near as serious as yours. Well, now I know for sure.

I hope you get a new campervan sorted soon.
SMG Cowfold are only a few miles away, I use them now and they are very capable.

Goss

Motor Ombudsman
Sorry to hear your sorry tale.
Was the Motor Ombudsmen helpful? I heard they accepted my case in December. I’ve heard nothing since but have been told to expect to wait 6 months for the case to be allocated…

Sorry to hear your sorry tale.
Was the Motor Ombudsmen helpful? I heard they accepted my case in December. I’ve heard nothing since but have been told to expect to wait 6 months for the case to be allocated…
Other than an acceptance of the claim/dispute, I have heard nothing further from the Motor Ombudsman since August last year. Fortunately, the vehicle was subject to finance so I could also refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman, who took 3 months and were excellent to be fair.

Please note - now for sale with Parkway VW;

They can’t even spell ‘options’. And lie that those wheels are factory.
Some unsuspecting soul will accept their misrepresentation…

Did your running problems start before or after the ABT work???
Looks like a lot of electrics are disturbed during the filling of spoilers, etc.

Even before we purchased, 5years in May, we were advised by very helpful Campervan hire company ( young couple with a few rental vans, near Edinburgh ) of the need to carefully choose where we purchased and subsequently maintained, our then to be bought van.
We purchased from Liverpool and servicing at Edinburgh, so far no issues.
Oh and we live in Glasgow Southside.

Did your running problems start before or after the ABT work???
Looks like a lot of electrics are disturbed during the filling of spoilers, etc.
Bodykit etc was added the week I bought it. The issue appears to have been caused by water ingress from condensation from the air conditioning pipes for the second condenser so completely unrelated to the bodykit etc.

Even before we purchased, 5years in May, we were advised by very helpful Campervan hire company ( young couple with a few rental vans, near Edinburgh ) of the need to carefully choose where we purchased and subsequently maintained, our then to be bought van.
We purchased from Liverpool and servicing at Edinburgh, so far no issues.
Oh and we live in Glasgow Southside.
Glasgow Resident. Interested in why you take the van to Edinburgh over Ballieston VW.

The Cali that my dealer provided to me for the first 6months had a collapsing roof

Back