Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Recommendation

With a few spare minutes I made up the table below for Vango comparisons. The internal floor area of the Galli is an estimate based on the dimensions Vango Vacation (365 x 320 cm).

AwningRRPFloor areaPack sizePack volumePitch timeWeight
Hexaway low
£795​
10.4 m270x42x40 cm0.118 m310 min20.35 Kg
Galli Air
£1,100​
11.7 m278x44x39 cm0.132 m315 min28.95 Kg
Galli Pole
£475​
11.7 m275x31x31 cm0.072 m312 min16.8 Kg
Kela V
£710​
7.2 m278x34x32 cm0.085 m38 min18.3 Kg

The Galli Pole comes out #1 on price, floor area, pack volume and weight, and #3 on pitch time. You will lose up to 2.5 m2 of usable space at the rear of the Galli with the sloping roof so I think the useable floor areas of the Hexaway and Galli are broadly similar. But, the Hexaway is just so classy...

Based on the above, I would dismiss the Galli Air as an option, and, I think, the Kela too.

Last edited:
The Hexaway only uses a single inflatable tube, so if it goes pop, it will be a pain to replace.

Another option is a Cinch The Hub: https://cinchpopuptents.com/specifications/

For something a bit different, but equally functional, check out the Quest Screen House 4 Pro. You can even buy a tunnel to attach to the van:

Both of these options have a very fast initial pitch time.. probably a minute plus pegging out.

I subscribe to "less is more" but have had to accept an awning eases matters enormously for us two with 4 & 6 y.o. boys: the Cove ii Air Low has proved to be great.
Primary considerations were pack size, awning access, size and height...aannnd ...a canopy...for foul weather cooking! With the Cove it's a short hop from canopy to fridge and supplies on the boot tray. We have had various other awnings and done some thorough research. ... Amarillo raises a good point - the slope of the sides does indeed impact useable space; I'm 6'4". Hope this helps.

Kampa
Trip Air
Vango
Faros Low Air
Vango
Tolga
Zempire
Roadie 4
Vango
Cove ii Air Low
Vango
Magra
£360£400£575£799£525£810
denier fabric6870150210150150
waterproofing3,000mm3,000mm3,000mm10,000mm3,000mm3,000mm
180 - 210180 - 210180 - 195190 - 250180 - 210180 - 210
height205205210210 (230)205210
length290290320320310355
width180180185280320322
tunnel9095135105110120
weight15.122.5
Kador length260250
Kador height180-210180-195
pack size72 x 3275 x 3375 x 35 x 3674 x 40 x 3475 x 37 x 3775 x 40 x 41

With a few spare minutes I made up the table below for Vango comparisons. The internal floor area of the Galli is an estimate based on the dimensions Vango Vacation (365 x 320 cm).

AwningRRPFloor areaPack sizePack volumePitch timeWeight
Hexaway low
£795​
10.4 m270x42x40 cm0.118 m310 min20.35 Kg
Galli Air
£1,100​
11.7 m278x44x39 cm0.132 m315 min28.95 Kg
Galli Pole
£475​
11.7 m275x31x31 cm0.072 m312 min16.8 Kg
Kela V
£710​
7.2 m278x34x32 cm0.085 m38 min18.3 Kg

The Galli Pole comes out #1 on price, floor area, pack volume and weight, and #3 on pitch time. You will lose up to 2.5 m2 of usable space at the rear of the Galli with the sloping roof so I think the useable floor areas of the Hexaway and Galli are broadly similar. But, the Hexaway is just so classy...

Based on the above, I would dismiss the Galli Air as an option, and, I think, the Kela too.
Brilliant info. Thank you so much

Decathlon produce a new version of the Quechua MSH. So this is an awning that you put very close to the van but don't attach.

They used to be very very popular but they discontinued it for a few years. Very small pack too.

I've gone back to a poled awning... Outwell one, which I've been really happy with. Milestone I think it's called. It only weighs about 10kg and isn't much bigger than a large rucksack.

I've tried Kyham, Vango, outdoor revolution and Outwell. Outwell is very well made, better than the Vango. Kyham was the best system (better than air) but just too large and heavy at near 30kg

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. They look quite versatile but doesn’t attach directly to the van. The pack size is quite compact as well.

Another option that appeals to me is the Kampa Cross Air, which gives plenty of space but can be attached to the van.

What we are currently using is a Coleman FastPitch event shelter. Offers great shade, but even with the sides attached it can be quite draughty and not really bug proof in the evenings.
We got one of those (Decathlon one in the above post) and live it. Packs down small, quick to put up and pack away, opens fully on 3 sides so good for good and bad weather. In we weather we wind out our awning and use it as a cover to get into the shelter without getting wet. Having had several expensive, heavy and bulky drive always this is far better for us.

I have an Outdoor Revolution Caymen Tail Awning for sale - used a couple of times during the 2020/21 season. There are only two of us and we rarely stay anywhere more than two night when touring so it doesn't get much use.

Can also be attached to the side awning rail as shown in the photo of my "For Sale" post.

We have had our van for over 5 years and have spent *at least* 20% of that time sleeping in it with our two boys now 7 and 8 but only 1 & 3 when we bought the van.

Our first awning was a Kela which we bought 2nd hand and served us well. Usable floor area is a little restricted at the rear due to the slope.

We now have a Hexaway (also bought 2nd hand) and it is classy and bright, the sides are near vertical so you lose little space.

The groundsheet is not sewn in, and that can be seen as a plus or minus. Over Easter in Spain we had a campsite cat invading the awning and sniffing about the box of dog food. On damp campsites you can get an invasion of slugs. However, some sites don’t allow tents with groundsheets, and unclipping the groundsheet is quick and easy. The awning appears to be incredibly stable in stormy weather.

It takes ages to pump up, is bulky and heavy. If they had a poled version I’d be tempted to upgrade to reduce the bulk and weight; the Gali now has air and poled versions and I’m tempted to sell the Hexaway in favour of the poled Gali, but the Hexaway is just so classy. Big enough for a table, six chairs and a kitchen area.

View attachment 92374
Kela, Norway June 2017

View attachment 92375
Kela, Romania April 2018

View attachment 92371
Hexaway, France August 2019

View attachment 92372
Hexaway, France August 2019

View attachment 92373
Hexaway, Spain April 2022
We also have a Kela, and for the 2 of us it suits us okay. What I’ve just realised however, from your pictures, is that it doesn’t need to be clamped to the side of the van, but you can attach to the wind out awning, fully wound out! Like some things that are obvious, it passed me by, but them I’m an engineer ;) . I also realise that by attaching the Outwell Fallcrest tarps to the wind out awning arms, the tunnel between the van and drive-away can be sheltered on one or both sides. Brilliant !! Just need to book a pitch wide enough to try this. Thanks!

We also have a Kela, and for the 2 of us it suits us okay. What I’ve just realised however, from your pictures, is that it doesn’t need to be clamped to the side of the van, but you can attach to the wind out awning, fully wound out! Like some things that are obvious, it passed me by, but them I’m an engineer ;) . I also realise that by attaching the Outwell Fallcrest tarps to the wind out awning arms, the tunnel between the van and drive-away can be sheltered on one or both sides. Brilliant !! Just need to book a pitch wide enough to try this. Thanks!

You don’t need a particularly large pitch to attach the tent to the extended awning. You just have to position your van sensibly.

We booked the smallest 60 sq m (and cheapest) pitch in Spain over the Easter holiday. We parked across the open end of the pitch, as close to the road as possible. Van width 2m, wind out canopy 2m, tent 4.1m, so you only need just over 8m of depth to pitch. This worked for us because I was right up against the front boundary of the pitch. Had I parked alongside the side hedge as most people do, I’d have lost about a metre strip of pitch to be able to open the front passenger door.

d5df21e066ed7daf2d91e0c40cf18754.jpg

The van gives privacy to most of the pitch. A Fallcrest tarp would give even more privacy to the area under the canopy.

You don’t need a particularly large pitch to attach the tent to the extended awning. You just have to position your van sensibly.

We booked the smallest 60 sq m (and cheapest) pitch in Spain over the Easter holiday. We parked across the open end of the pitch, as close to the road as possible. Van width 2m, wind out canopy 2m, tent 4.1m, so you only need just over 8m of depth to pitch. This worked for us because I was right up against the front boundary of the pitch. Had I parked alongside the side hedge as most people do, I’d have lost about a metre strip of pitch to be able to open the front passenger door.

d5df21e066ed7daf2d91e0c40cf18754.jpg

The van gives privacy to most of the pitch. A Fallcrest tarp would give even more privacy to the area under the canopy.
We will give it a go. A few sites we’ve been to this year have insisted on a minimum fire gap between units / vehicles such as 3m.

I'm looking for lightweight sides and front for the awning fitted to my California. Can anybody advise if they have found some please? - I have the Comfortz Awning Kit, but that is a little on the heavy side for what I am seeking. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

I'm looking for lightweight sides and front for the awning fitted to my California. Can anybody advise if they have found some please? - I have the Comfortz Awning Kit, but that is a little on the heavy side for what I am seeking. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

1.3 Kg for two panels.

Cheaper from the club shop.

I swapped my Comfortz awning room for the California Camping (Germany) one last year. Same material as Brandrup use for their side panels but they zip together. Pack size is tiny compared to Comfortz. Horrendously expensive though, but what isn't for the Cali!?

1.3 Kg for two panels.

Cheaper from the club shop.
Many thanks - this looks perhaps like what I am seeking?

I swapped my Comfortz awning room for the California Camping (Germany) one last year. Same material as Brandrup use for their side panels but they zip together. Pack size is tiny compared to Comfortz. Horrendously expensive though, but what isn't for the Cali!?
Not sure which awning room you are referring to? Is it available through the club?

Outwell Fallcrest and Hillcrest work well, although they don’t really create a fully enclosed room, without gaps. Excellent as a shelter though from the wind and the sun, when we get some!

7E03DF28-ECAE-4539-962B-9B75052D5F29.jpeg

7AF5EF0E-B121-40B9-96B5-BE1B07D63712.jpeg

7A3CA663-945D-4A74-90C1-FE84FCC3E8C2.jpeg

Not sure which awning room you are referring to? Is it available through the club?
Not available in the UK. See the post below.

Can recommend the Berghaus Air Shelter - very easy to put up / pack away, and versatile as it can have all 4 sides opened up when really warm

B88FB5DE-2A5D-4402-AA1D-90573E6E3165.jpeg

Outwell Fallcrest and Hillcrest work well, although they don’t really create a fully enclosed room, without gaps. Excellent as a shelter though from the wind and the sun, when we get some!

View attachment 92548

View attachment 92549

View attachment 92550
This looks good, light weight, and simple to fit.

I note in the photos you have the ends shown almost vertical. Is it possible to hang the front section vertical to make it a little more private?

Can recommend the Berghaus Air Shelter - very easy to put up / pack away, and versatile as it can have all 4 sides opened up when really warm

View attachment 92557
Hi thanks for your suggestion, but I am looking for something to hang off the awning fitted to the van, although I do appreciate that whatever I get will not be as weatherproof as your air shelter.

Hi thanks for your suggestion, but I am looking for something to hang off the awning fitted to the van, although I do appreciate that whatever I get will not be as weatherproof as your air shelter.

This is what I bought. Like the Comfortz awning room but much thinner material, same as the Brandrup panels, and fully customisable as to where you would like doors and windows.

This is what I bought. Like the Comfortz awning room but much thinner material, same as the Brandrup panels, and fully customisable as to where you would like doors and windows.
Thank you for this.

This looks good, light weight, and simple to fit.

I note in the photos you have the ends shown almost vertical. Is it possible to hang the front section vertical to make it a little more private?
The ends were vertical due to the fall in the pitch, otherwise not quite vertical. The side is too long to get to the vertical without flapping - so far as we can work out.

Thule make sides that are vertical. See videos by Wee Broon Van on YouTube

Last edited:
Back