Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone with a T6 Cali dare look under their raising roof seal!!!

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Go on check for bubbling. Dare ya!!
This is what you're looking for.

20160123_091848_zpsrtroi7nx.jpg

let's hope this is not happening....

Sadly I wouldn't bet gainst it. I'm not looking

I kinda thought the issue was fixed on late T5s, so not an issue on T6s :eek:

There is still no T6 with corrosion so do not panic!
I heard from the dealer it is solved on the T6 so....

Giving this a bump.

Any T6ers had a look yet.

Surley the paint is not dry yet on the T6s. I would not look for 30 months or so if I bought a T6 I would just enjoying it

Surley the paint is not dry yet on the T6s. I would not look for 30 months or so if I bought a T6 I would just enjoying it

Our T5 had bubbling under the seal at 6 months old.

Have any of the early T6'ers had a look yet?
We have a few members with vans that are 6+ months old now...

Do "we" think therefore that some preventative maintenance should be done on new vehicle by removing the new seal and adding in some silicone grease or a more permanent, sikaflex sealant from day one?

I have an early T6 registered in Jan 16 with plenty use - i have checked and although its dusty and dirty under seal there is no sign of bubbling - i would be very disappointed if VW have merrily moved on to a whole new T model without resolving this issue

I have an early T6 registered in Jan 16 with plenty use - i have checked and although its dusty and dirty under seal there is no sign of bubbling - i would be very disappointed if VW have merrily moved on to a whole new T model without resolving this issue
Thanks Tim & good to hear.

Do "we" think therefore that some preventative maintenance should be done on new vehicle by removing the new seal and adding in some silicone grease or a more permanent, sikaflex sealant from day one?

Sounds like a good idea, but Vw could use your tampering as excuse to not pay out under warranty.
After the 6 year "goodwill warranty extension " has run out on the roof then something like that is worh a try.
I reckon the problem with the raising roof bubbling under the seal is that modern water based vehicle paints don't like being submerged permanently in water.

Well, unless they redesign the rubber seal to incorporate drain holes it will still retain water
Sounds like a good idea, but Vw could use your tampering as excuse to not pay out under warranty.
After the 6 year "goodwill warranty extension " has run out on the roof then something like that is worh a try.
I reckon the problem with the raising roof bubbling under the seal is that modern water based vehicle paints don't like being submerged permanently in water.
Hmm, yes, a bit of a gamble on the warranty front, but if it works it won't be going for the repair in the first place...

Might just have to remove it every now and again clean it up and use silicone grease. If it does eventually bubble will just have to clean it all up and leave no evidence of "Tampering"

Giving this thread a bump for all T6 owners.

I heard from the dealer it is solved on the T6 so....

VWCS say "Please note, no California models built after 2013 are affected by theissue"

My Feb 2014 has had the raising roof repainted twice and the fixed roof replaced once so what VW say is load bull sh@t!

if you find someone sneaking around your T6 Cali in a car park will it be snowy55 taking a look under the roof seal ;)

A Membwr of the German Caliboard took a very close look on the blue T6 California Ocean that was displayed at the Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf. What to say, First signs of the well known problem. In Reality, why should it be different, nothing has changed.

The complete roof should be made of plastic. The front spoiler on mine was changed last month and it is made of plastic.
One question: how do you pull the rubber seal off? Mine is glued or something and I don't want to tear it off.
Sorry to write in the T6 section, but I am under impression as I visited the dealer today, because a bubble appeared and they did not check below the rubber.

Roll on the T7 ??? Will this thread continue to spin out?.

VWCS say "Please note, no California models built after 2013 are affected by theissue"

My Feb 2014 has had the raising roof repainted twice and the fixed roof replaced once so what VW say is load bull sh@t!
Curiously my 2011 has never been affected. I checked last week as I do regularly and fingers crossed nothing. They seem to have an inconsistent production issue here.
Plastic roofs (as posted above) will just bring other issues such as warping of plastic over time and paint on plastics can have their own issues too..

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there is some correlation between how Cali's are stored and the extent of the corrosion. I'm not suggesting it's clear cut (ie store in the garage and it won't rot), but is there a correlation? It's odd that some have got this far without issues.

I wonder if there is some correlation between how Cali's are stored and the extent of the corrosion. I'm not suggesting it's clear cut (ie store in the garage and it won't rot), but is there a correlation? It's odd that some have got this far without issues.

Mine is in the garage when not in use not a daily driver and only comes out for trips so not it the rain the whole time , and i got bublles under the seal ( T5 2012)

@Slovenia , normaly you can pull the seal off , open the roof 30cm stand on a small ladder and gently pull the rubbet downwarts.
If yours is glued think it's done afterwarts...

Back