Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any longer term carpet set reviews ? (Fitted more than 6 months)

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,
I have searched the carpets and mats section in accessories but understandably there is not a great amount of info on long term experience regarding practicality and durability.

I kitted my Ocean out when I bought it in 2017 with basic seat covers and 2 basic door mats for the living area. In fairness both those options have done well.
But As I approached a potential retirement date of 2020 I was going to replace all these basics with something to keep the nicety of the interior.
Well Covid struck the world and I delayed my retirement and junked my Forum nickname of Freedom 2020 well the retirement is looming again.
With my Brandrup 2nd skins now purchased and fitted I'm fired up and hot to trot to get the floor sorted with a birthday treat. I have the 3 rail system in the floor and would prefer not to pay the earth but have open ears to all reviews.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
We went for a cheap option often recommended on here, a Dunelm marvel mat, cut to fit. Cost £22. We have one which covers most of the floor, some people use two side by side. It rolls up at night to pull the bed out. We have had it over a year, and it's brilliant, I throw it in the washing machine after a trip and it comes out like new, dries fast and back in the van.

We bought the economy version of the black carpets from club shop. They are ok, clean well but the fit could be a bit better around the Ocean kitchen, also the ends near the doors curl up a bit so you catch your feet on them when getting in the van. For the price, compared to something like the brandrup they are ok, its only a floor after all and much better than those annoyingly hard to clean lumpy bits on the original floor on the 2019 van.
Good luck with your retirement and your new freedom in your van Ocean spirit.

Thank you @Polomint for the feedback and the good wishes.

We have the pale grey Brandrup fitted carpet set, expensive and not over practical but they do brush clean. Over these we have cheap black Ikea synthetic door mats to prevent excessive mud, wear & tear. The large underbed drawer will open over the mats.

We have the pale grey Brandrup fitted carpet set, expensive and not over practical but they do brush clean. Over these we have cheap black Ikea synthetic door mats to prevent excessive mud, wear & tear. The large underbed drawer will open over the mats.
Not overly practical because they get dirty in that colour something else?

I bought the Dunelm marvel mats. I bought 2 extra wide runners. Marked the tracks where the bench goes to when out, pushed the bench back and fitted the 1st rug. Cuts easily with a Stanley knife and is rubber backed so doesn't fray. Also means any spills doesn't go into the tracks.
I then fitted the 2nd runner round the units and front chairs.
The left overs have made door mats and there's still some left over.

They have been great. Can lift the rear 1 and place ontop of the other when using the lower bed. Take them out and shake all the sand off them. And have washed them a few times.

20210819_180405.jpg

I bought the Dunelm marvel mats. I bought 2 extra wide runners. Marked the tracks where the bench goes to when out, pushed the bench back and fitted the 1st rug. Cuts easily with a Stanley knife and is rubber backed so doesn't fray. Also means any spills doesn't go into the tracks.
I then fitted the 2nd runner round the units and front chairs.
The left overs have made door mats and there's still some left over.

They have been great. Can lift the rear 1 and place ontop of the other when using the lower bed. Take them out and shake all the sand off them. And have washed them a few times.

View attachment 97025
Great mats, got one for my joker B132BB66-9D8F-4459-A05B-E7856013691B.jpeg

Hi all,
I have searched the carpets and mats section in accessories but understandably there is not a great amount of info on long term experience regarding practicality and durability.

I kitted my Ocean out when I bought it in 2017 with basic seat covers and 2 basic door mats for the living area. In fairness both those options have done well.
But As I approached a potential retirement date of 2020 I was going to replace all these basics with something to keep the nicety of the interior.
Well Covid struck the world and I delayed my retirement and junked my Forum nickname of Freedom 2020 well the retirement is looming again.
With my Brandrup 2nd skins fitted I'm fired up and hot to trot to get the floor sorted with a birthday treat. I have the 3 rail system in the floor and would prefer not to pay the earth but have open ears to all reviews.

Thank you everyone.
I have the brandrup middle section one in titanium black (2 rail). Fits perfectly, seems good quality and after 7 months use (weekend driving and about 35 days camping) seems to be lasting well. I chose the darker colour so it didn't mark as badly as the original grey carpet in the van cab. Seems to be working, no marks so far.

I have a 2017 Ocean bought secondhand that came with the branded mats. I believe they were purchased when the van was new. They are black and currently absolutely filthy ( just got back from camp Bestival) but really good quality I’ve got kids go away most weekends walking cycling they take a pounding and vacuum up clean and are hardy. Can’t say what happened to them before I purchased in 2020 but I think they probably are worth the money whatever that cost is I don’t know I didn’t buy

We have Brandrup black carpets in the rear and boot and VW rubber mats in the front. I like the black look throughout. Even with two kids and a dog as regular passengers and the van being used as a daily drive, they have all stood up to 18 months use, and are easy to maintain and clean.

We bought the economy version of the black carpets from club shop. They are ok, clean well but the fit could be a bit better around the Ocean kitchen, also the ends near the doors curl up a bit so you catch your feet on them when getting in the van. For the price, compared to something like the brandrup they are ok, its only a floor after all and much better than those annoyingly hard to clean lumpy bits on the original floor on the 2019 van.
Good luck with your retirement and your new freedom in your van Ocean spirit.
We have the folding black Brandrup carpet in the rear, been down for over four years, great fit and easy to clean. They cover the aluminium floor strips so easy on bare feet. We only use the upper bed for sleeping so it is a decent option.
We fit rubber mats in the front during the winter but enjoy the standard fitted carpets the rest of the year.

Back