Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Annoying noises

stevieb

stevieb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello

Has anybody experienced a plastic "tinkling " noise (that's the only way I can describe it) from I think the dashboard in front of the dials.
It is driving my wife mad we have been trying to trace it now for a few weeks. Also a spring squeak in the drivers seat, passenger seat ok I've sprayed all visible springs & seat sliders with Silicone spray but with no success.
With an impending 4week trip to West coast Scotland & the Outer Hebrides we need to get it sorted asap. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Are you sure it is the Drivers seat or could it be the sliding door. Use Silicon spray on the guide catches and where the rollers disappear into the B frame. NOT on the electrical connector. Also the door seals. Could be that.
As for the Dashboard, sorry cannot help there. Mine is silent.

Are you sure it is the Drivers seat or could it be the sliding door. Use Silicon spray on the guide catches and where the rollers disappear into the B frame. NOT on the electrical connector. Also the door seals. Could be that.
As for the Dashboard, sorry cannot help there. Mine is silent.

Thanks for your reply will check that out.

It may not be connected but have you tried pulling the cup holder slide-out out and pushing it firmly back in again? I found this helped when I had an annoying tinkling from the dash.

Maud

Turn the music up?
That was the suggestion we got from a Texan, who sold us our Nissan 200sx in 1993 in the USA, to dull the sound of the back window louvres rattling!

It's not your keys rattling against the steering column is it? :D

Yes, I have the tinkling, a bit like tinfoil in the dash somewhere, also had it on a a Honda Civic, drove me mad!! Mine goes in for a check in 2 weeks so will ask them to look/listen for it

Blast your window vents on full for a while, see if any parking tickets etc fly out. I'm always clearing paper, twigs and straw from the gap between windscreen and dash. When the vent is on low they make noises similar to what you describe.

One other thought regarding the Dash noise. Unlock the steering wheel adjustment and move wheel up and down before re-locking in your position of choice.

We had an untraceable noise which eventually turned out to be sunglasses rattling in the holder. Turned them over, problem solved.

Yes, yes, I get that noise! I was wondering if it could be the speedo cable? That's a good description you gave and It's definitely in the dashboard on the drivers side

Turn your fan off as it might well be that I've had that on my last two T5s it's the fan motor. As for the seat try to slide it forward one notch as it might be all the way bac and not actually in a notch.

With the fan speed on one I should have put.

My annoying squeak which only occured when driving turned out to be the sliding drawer under the rear seat. When pulling it out it sqeaked especially at the end of the runners. WD40 cured it

Had the noise on the way to work today, I tried the fan on high and on all settings and then turned the fan off, nothing was blown out of the vents and the noise continues, so the fan is not the issue. The crackling comes from the dashboard behind the dials towards the windscreen and tends to be intermittent.

Hello

Also a spring squeak in the drivers seat, passenger seat ok I've sprayed all visible springs & seat sliders with Silicone spray but with no success.

This I suspect is due to some metal rods/wire rubbing against each other. When looking at the seat from above the fabric is pulled into a rectangle in the middle. To achieve this there is a metal wire framework set into the foam that the fabric loops around. The 4 rods are joined to each other by just bending the ends around and its the rubbing together that makes the squeak. I could make mine squeak by pushing this area (hard) with my hand.
To solve you would have to take the seat out of the van and remove the fabric covering (the bottom edge has a series of clips holding it) so you can see the foam and metal wire. I then put some bits of felt tape round the joins and its been silent ever since.

This I suspect is due to some metal rods/wire rubbing against each other. When looking at the seat from above the fabric is pulled into a rectangle in the middle. To achieve this there is a metal wire framework set into the foam that the fabric loops around. The 4 rods are joined to each other by just bending the ends around and its the rubbing together that makes the squeak. I could make mine squeak by pushing this area (hard) with my hand.
To solve you would have to take the seat out of the van and remove the fabric covering (the bottom edge has a series of clips holding it) so you can see the foam and metal wire. I then put some bits of felt tape round the joins and its been silent ever since.

Hello
Thanks for your reply.....checked out seats all moving parts & gave a further dose of Silicone Spray, squeak gone for now.....will remember your info just in case the noise comes back.
Thanks again
Steve

live with it after all its only a van with a camper added. enjoy it, we have just driven around Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and now mainland Italy and the roads have been and will continue to be full of potholes.
And we get rattles, just enjoy the freedom the cali brings.

John

live with it after all its only a van with a camper added. enjoy it, we have just driven around Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and now mainland Italy and the roads have been and will continue to be full of potholes.
And we get rattles, just enjoy the freedom the cali brings.

John
Hello

That trip is number 1 on our wish list but preferably without rattles lol....enjoy the rest of your travels.

Steve & Gill

I suspect the dash rattle may be related to the VIN number foam. "Mine" has fallen down and rattles here occasionally. Drove me crazy until I found the problem.

The one that annoys me is the rattle above my head. However I have Our van coming shortly so I will have a few months of no rattles.

Last night I had a buzzing from front of dash. A few minutes a bee flew out from bottom of screen! !

Sent from my SM-G900F

Had the noise on the way to work today, I tried the fan on high and on all settings and then turned the fan off, nothing was blown out of the vents and the noise continues, so the fan is not the issue. The crackling comes from the dashboard behind the dials towards the windscreen and tends to be intermittent.

Hello Mazvw42

Just wanted to give you a update on the "tinkling" noise behind the speedo dials on the dash.

Picked up the van today from VW and they have informed me that the "instrument cluster " had worked itself loose. It was repaired under warranty & no noise experienced on the journey home fingers crossed.

Steve

Excellent, thanks for the update, very useful. Mine is still under warranty until December, so I'll be book it in.