Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice sought on radio choice

P

Poole77

I'm about to take the plunge and order a new Cali. I am having difficulty getting to grips with the radio choices, and my dealer doesn't seem to know much about it. He says the specs keep changing.

I would like a radio with DAB, which works my iPhone via bluetooth and which is integrated with the parking sensors. I have exactly that in my VW Scorocco and it works really well. That radio is an RCD 510. It does not seem to be on the option list for a Cali, but interestingly remains on the option list for a new Scirocco. I am not that bothered about SatNav. I would prefer to buy a TomTom for about £150.

The only way of getting a DAB radio with a "phone button" seems to be the "RNS 510 satellite navigation with DAB" at the extortionate cost of £2208!

Also, I cannot find out whether even that radio (£2208, remember) also requires the purchase of "Bluetooth" as an extra (£235), or even "Bluetooth Premium" (£250) which also apparently requires the MFSW (£197).

Any thoughts/advice/experience would be appreciated!

johnv - I've just been looking at that unit! Looks great - and ready for Apple's Carplay when it arrives! Of paramount importance to me though, is sound quality - did you have the standard VW non DAB unit in before? If so, could you say if there's much improvement? We've noticed particularly how awful the sound is when listening to the spoken voice - Radio 4 - when travelling along and the volume needs to be up! It sounds ok with the engine off! (Poole77 - sorry if I'm digressing a bit!)

Many thanks in anticipation

Ian

Sorry johnv - just noticed you did have the 310

DAB is better than the 310 sq .. when you have a signal! It seems to me that the major stations are pretty good for coverage (eg Radio 2 and 4) but , for example, Radio London is not worth persevering with on DAB at present .. I'm hoping (and assuming) that DAB coverage will improve.
You may want to consider another amp/ better speakers, as I think they will be the bottleneck

Thanks John - I was thinking about upgrading the speakers, but was hoping that the amp in the Pioneer would significantly improve sound quality. Also I'm an Apple addict so the Carplay aspect interests me.

Order the van with a 310 Dab with advanced bluetooth (that will do Bluetooth streaming), then you can upgrade to an rns or rcd 510 at a later date as all of the wiring, microphones and ariels will be on place. This is a simple swap. T

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Teeboy, Thanks, that seems excellent advice and the best compromise for what I want. I had decided (reluctantly) that the 310 /Bluetooth/mfsw was the compromise, but am delighted to hear that an aftermarket swap to an RCD 510 is easy. Now for some dealer haggling ...

Could a Mod move this thread to the right section?

Our T4s are so noisy that we can only buy radios with volume controls that go to 11.

Ta muchly.
dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Could a Mod move this thread to the right section?

Our T4s are so noisy that we can only buy radios with volume controls that go to 11.

Ta muchly.
dan

Done :thumb

johnv said:
but , for example, Radio London is not worth persevering with on DAB at present ..

That surely is an equipment/antenna issue.

I listen to Radio London for traffic etc on my commute. I can pick up on the M3 at Basingstoke and haven't lost it when I get to Luton.

Factory installed equipment in BMW and Audi.

As someone else has suggested, defo upgrade to a radio with DAB at minimum, the DAB aerial is in the drivers door mirror, and a pain to retrofit.

As for the call button, it works fine on my friends 2013 Cali with Bluetooth & MFSW (MultiFunction Steering Wheel). Didn't have to order anything that special?

The phone is synced and the names come up on the MFD (Multi Functional Display) and you can navigate / call via the steering wheel.

I looked into this when I replaced my 310, and found that the 510 ad the kenwood were getting a bit long in the tooth .. I settled for this
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F960DAB/page.html
it will do everything you want, plus has an up to date sat nav implementation .. but it's all a bit of a minefield!

Hi John,

Just wondering where you got the Pioneer installed? I have the RNS 510 and am looking to replay with a CarPlay system.

Cheers,
Paul