Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A feeling of disappointment

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
As you all know I am probably one of the greatest Cali fans on the planet. Having sung the praises of what is a brilliant, brilliant vehicle I now feel quite let down.

In June 2014, with the vehicle just 9 months old, I noticed a 240v charging problem. Whilst displaying the hook-up sign it would just stop charging when hooked up.

It went into the Dealer, returned a few days later, fixed. A faulty control panel replaced.

Except it wasn't fixed. The problem got worse. Sometimes it refused to charge at all. A couple more visits back, a few days off the road, still not fixed.

It is now Autumn 2014. I can manage because I am running the vehicle daily and it charges off the engine. I use it this way, with an intermittent 240v charging fault, through the Autumn and winter.

In Spring this year it goes back. Simples. Replace the charger. Great. It comes back, works for a few days, then the problem gets worse, now it will not charge at all. Back it goes, yet more days off the road, comes back .... after two days back where it was.

So now it's summer. I have 3-4 weeks when I have no use for the vehicle. It can go back to be sorted once and for all.

Off it goes. It is in the garage for 15 days ... yes, for 15 days I am yet again deprived of the vehicle, now over 30 days in total. The dealer, and really no fault laid at their door, is being directed by VW technical support. Finally the earth shunt is replaced, another control panel, the third in 18 months, is fitted. It was returned to me on Tuesday.

Yesterday it was collected and taken back to the dealer. It is now worse than ever. In fact as a camper it is now totally useless. It will charge neither off the 240V hook up nor the engine generator. I have been in touch with VW customer service who postulating great concern have not been back to me in over a month.

I am sure that all of you who have read my postings in this forum would not have expected me to say these words, in fact I can't really believe that I am typing them:

I Really can't wait for the Marco Polo to come to Britain. The MB customer service may not be any better but surely it cannot be any worse.

Deep down in your heart I'm sure you don't really mean it YET!
You've had some wonderful adventures in Albert and more to come I'm sure.
Now it's time for some heavy action.
Your Dealership, although helpful, are unable to trace the fault and are dependant on VW Technical, correct?
In that case I would contact VWCS, who seem to be aware of the situation . An ultimatum is in order. 48hrs for a plan to fix Albert or a replacement vehicle as they have failed to complete their side of the contract when you purchased the vehicle. Legal action will follow . You have a cast iron case in law. Many car insurance policies have legal cover included or you may now someone in the legal profession. Also substantial damages should be part of the claim for loss of use of the vehicle for its intended purpose.
Inform them that the whole saga is on the Internet and that over 7500 members worldwide, owners no less, on this Forum are following this unhappy situation.
Go for it. Give them hell. Another project to keep you busy.:thumb

Paul

Thank you for your support and encouragement :thumb

I left just such a message with VWCS an hour ago.

The first step was public disclosure of the whole incompetent fiasco, starting with this forum and a round-robin email to every press journalist in the UK ...

The second was the front page of my professional website, and My camping website, detailing these problems

The third is a call through to my lawyers ... and now waiting for another call back.

To date the only people that I have not had a call back from is VWCS :headbang

Sorry to hear this, pretty poor service.........Perhaps social media link to this topic on Twitter (@vwgroup ....Official account of Volkswagen Group "delivering news for press, media and influencers" Deutsch: @vwgroup_de) ?

I am sure Albert will get fixed and you will be back to enjoying him again :)

I'll be watching with interest. From your post above I think VW are going to regret their inactivity.:thumb

goodness I have a twitter account but how to use it is rocket science to me :)

I'm an Historian ... there was no such thing as Twitter in my day ...

@UKParliament .... .... bonaparte had butt well and truly kicked today ... Wellesley - 18/06/15"

I'm no expert but I am currently finding a public rant at BT on there is focusing activity ;)

I'm no expert but I am currently finding a public rant at BT on there is focusing activity ;)

Goodness! I have tweeted! I now feel all terribly modern .... This could change all my history teachings ....

@Herr Hitler ....... your days are numbered chum ..... Winston"

To Granny Jen, Welshgas, and Neligbj,
I entirely sympathise with you all, now you understand the problems that we with cali's 6 years + and front panel roof corrosion.
VWSC in Milton Keynes do not care about customer care and don't even now what it means, good luck but don't hold your breath.
I am still awaiting replies from them that were sent 12 months ago

John

Checklist so far:

two consumer rights lawyers contacted:

12 tweets made so far to autoexpress, VW Commercial and motoring journalists - oh, also BBC Watchdog

2 calls logged so far to VWCS (no reply of course)

Front of website changed to record this pathetic shambles

email via moneysavingexpert (see post above) ....

Time for a cup of tea and then on with the good work...

They seem very keen when making a sale but must admit once the sales done the response is a lot slower isnt it.

Thank you Martin.

Just finishing my cup of tea and then that is my next port of call :)

I have to be honest this does concern me a little. As a beach owner I have the hookup and leisure battery, but unlike the SE we have no read out or way of telling if anything is working. I know it charges when mobile through a volt meter but if it was broken I'd not easily know like an SE owner would.

I need to get my volt meter out on hookup this weekend.

The latest ...

I have now been offered a set of wheels to run around with for the weekend.

One year on and now another weekend without the vehicle and someone appears to have a focussed mind at last.

Disgraceful, utterly disgraceful for a £60k vehicle.

Jen's enthusiastic posts were a big factor in my ( and I'm sure other new arrivals also) taking The Big Decision , and like all of you I am shocked by her experiences.

How about a forum action front on Jen's behalf ? ( and the rest of us when things turn ugly )With enough Cali owners prepared to go public on the general theme of awful VW customer care there has to be some leverage. A forum poll ??? Then notify VW inviting a 'prior to publication in national meda ' response ?

who's in ?

al

Feel for you and Albert, we can put people on the moon but try getting a VW van mechanic to fix a charger, :rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang
Really hope you get some response from VW and a solution soon.

I see VW have commented on GrannyJen's posting on their Facebook page.

Seriously stepping aside from the terrible service.. what on earth is wrong with your Cali. I realise the van is warrantied and it's totally VW's responsibility but have you tried posting the symptoms on here in detail to see if any of the members can help solve the problem.. it could be something that someone else has experienced to a lesser extent but could be a fix for you or give you an area that maybe the dealer has overlooked.

Very shoddy service and totally unacceptable. I notice that you are now referring to 'the van' rather than Albert by name. Is this the first signs of irreconcilable differences and a move towards a conscious uncoupling? I hope not as I would miss your posts! VW if you are reading this get your act together and quickly!

As you all know I am probably one of the greatest Cali fans on the planet. Having sung the praises of what is a brilliant, brilliant vehicle I now feel quite let down.

In June 2014, with the vehicle just 9 months old, I noticed a 240v charging problem. Whilst displaying the hook-up sign it would just stop charging when hooked up.

It went into the Dealer, returned a few days later, fixed. A faulty control panel replaced.

Except it wasn't fixed. The problem got worse. Sometimes it refused to charge at all. A couple more visits back, a few days off the road, still not fixed.

It is now Autumn 2014. I can manage because I am running the vehicle daily and it charges off the engine. I use it this way, with an intermittent 240v charging fault, through the Autumn and winter.

In Spring this year it goes back. Simples. Replace the charger. Great. It comes back, works for a few days, then the problem gets worse, now it will not charge at all. Back it goes, yet more days off the road, comes back .... after two days back where it was.

So now it's summer. I have 3-4 weeks when I have no use for the vehicle. It can go back to be sorted once and for all.

Off it goes. It is in the garage for 15 days ... yes, for 15 days I am yet again deprived of the vehicle, now over 30 days in total. The dealer, and really no fault laid at their door, is being directed by VW technical support. Finally the earth shunt is replaced, another control panel, the third in 18 months, is fitted. It was returned to me on Tuesday.

Yesterday it was collected and taken back to the dealer. It is now worse than ever. In fact as a camper it is now totally useless. It will charge neither off the 240V hook up nor the engine generator. I have been in touch with VW customer service who postulating great concern have not been back to me in over a month.

I am sure that all of you who have read my postings in this forum would not have expected me to say these words, in fact I can't really believe that I am typing them:

I Really can't wait for the Marco Polo to come to Britain. The MB customer service may not be any better but surely it cannot be any worse.

You need to write a letter directly to the MD Mr Paul Wilcox at VW Group (UK), Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK14 5AN and send a copy to your dealer principal. We had problems and it made people jump.

Back