Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

8' x 4' Sheet Ply in Cali Ocean..?

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Slightly random question (while I'm waiting for my Cali Ocean to arrive), assuming I can remove the rear seat/bed can the Ocean fit an 8' x 4' sheet of ply in the rear..?

cheers

simon

I have a beach and so the width is no problem for me (I suspect it might be a problem for an ocean). I just fold the seats down no need to remove. However the length is an issue. It could fit in on floor but the seats lean back slightly shorten the load length. I get wood trimmed slightly shorter to make it doable or rip it narrower to go where the passenger seat can be shifted far forward. This wouldn't be possible in the ocean.
The beach has been a good work van/family fun vehicle for a number of years but I've decided to get a crafter! No issues with load length then!

Slightly random question (while I'm waiting for my Cali Ocean to arrive), assuming I can remove the rear seat/bed can the Ocean fit an 8' x 4' sheet of ply in the rear..?

cheers

simon
Possibly!

Ive tried to fit one in before by laying the downstairs bed flat, I thought it would fit as the bed is wide enough, trouble was the rear boot pillar intrudes into the space on the right hand side & the overhead locker limits how much of an angle you can put the sheet in at.

If you are taking the rear bench out you will probably be ok but its a lot of effort, be better to use a pair of roof bars & put it up top.

Not in an ocean. Length just ok with seats upright and pulled forward but the wardrobe etc restrict the width. But not the most comfortable drive.

3ft wide easier.

I got b&q to cutdown an 8x4 sheet only last week so that I could carry it. B&Q do not charge for 4 cuts.

Not in an ocean. Length just ok with seats upright and pulled forward but the wardrobe etc restrict the width. But not the most comfortable drive.

3ft wide easier.

I got b&q to cutdown an 8x4 sheet only last week so that I could carry it. B&Q do not charge for 4 cuts.
I was wondering if the sheet would fit vertically (if the seat/bed wasn't there) and could slide between the two front seats..? What is the floor to ceiling height at the tailgate..?

I accept that taking the rear seat/bed out isn't ideal or easy...!

I can get sheet wood delivered for £10, so will probably continue to do that on the odd occasions I need to

I was wondering if the sheet would fit vertically (if the seat/bed wasn't there) and could slide between the two front seats..? What is the floor to ceiling height at the tailgate..?

I can get sheet wood delivered for £10, so will probably continue to do that on the odd occasions I need to
That might work!?

The hight of the tailgate opening on a normal T6.1 is 1290mm the ocean/coast has the top locker hanging down into that space which reduces the hight to less than the 1220mm you need to put the board vertically.
If I remember I'll measure it tomorrow.

The headliner at the front end of the passenger compartment is also lower to give a recess for the sliding hatch to move into.

You only need one scrape on the trim to think that the £150 for a set of roof bars would have been a bargain.

You only need to remove the bench seat once to consider 10 quid for delivery to be a no brainer!

Won't fit in an ocean otherwise, the load dimensions for large stuff are surprisingly small. I couldn't get a 133 x178 wardrobe panel in last week, it wasn't even close. had to lash it to the roof.

If you take the bench seat out it might go in at an angle but likely to damage something

You only need to remove the bench seat once to consider 10 quid for delivery to be a no brainer!

Won't fit in an ocean otherwise, the load dimensions for large stuff are surprisingly small. I couldn't get a 133 x178 wardrobe panel in last week, it wasn't even close. had to lash it to the roof.

If you take the bench seat out it might go in at an angle but likely to damage something
Agreed. Rear seat bench is a really heavy unit.

We investigated option to remove when we first got our Ocean.

It became very clear that it is heavy and difficult to remove.

Hence do use our Ocean to carry large loads but either get the supplier to cut to your sizes or carry a guide rail and saw to do it myself in the carpark.

The hight of the tailgate opening on a normal T6.1 is 1290mm the ocean/coast has the top locker hanging down into that space which reduces the hight to less than the 1220mm you need to put the board vertically.
If I remember I'll measure it tomorrow.

The headliner at the front end of the passenger compartment is also lower to give a recess for the sliding hatch to move into.

You only need one scrape on the trim to think that the £150 for a set of roof bars would have been a bargain.
Even better, pay the £10 delivery charge…lol

Well, at least I know it’s not worth doing and it passed some time finding out..;-)

interestingly I just measured the rear opening on mt T5 SE (assuming that a new Ocean would have same dimensions). You could very nearly and possibly just get a sheet of 8x4 in with the bed flat - however it would be at 45 degrees so would potentially damage what it leans against - the trim and blinds on the tailgate side. You would have to put the lower end on the left against the cupboards and the right side on the right by the sliding door - wrap it all well, and hope that you don't have to brake hard.

So falls into the "maybe technically possible, but still a bad idea category". My van is 13 years old now and I wouldn't consider it for a moment, even though the inside has already picked up a number of nicks and scratches...

interestingly I just measured the rear opening on mt T5 SE (assuming that a new Ocean would have same dimensions). You could very nearly and possibly just get a sheet of 8x4 in with the bed flat - however it would be at 45 degrees so would potentially damage what it leans against - the trim and blinds on the tailgate side. You would have to put the lower end on the left against the cupboards and the right side on the right by the sliding door - wrap it all well, and hope that you don't have to brake hard.

So falls into the "maybe technically possible, but still a bad idea category". My van is 13 years old now and I wouldn't consider it for a moment, even though the inside has already picked up a number of nicks and scratches...
Totally agree, not worth it at all…

You can't, I have tried. I spent an hour at Wickes trying to get a sheet of 8x4 MDF in.
The opening is not tall enough to get the board at 45 degrees.

Fortunately I was prepared, I had a pair of folding saw horses, the dimensions of the understairs doors I was making & a cordless circular saw with me.

I had a huge number of people asking if I was available to do their kitchen/ bathroom etc so if I'm ever out of work I know what to do.

I have carried 3 sheets of Vorhinger ply in my Beach. Width wasn’t a problem but as mentioned earlier the length at bed level is fractional to short (I have the 2 seater rear bench so same height as the SE/Ocean when flat).
To gain the extra length the rear of the sheets were propped up by about a foot so they were angled down into the front seats. Also had to have the front seats more upright than i normally like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in an Ocean you won’t. We couldn’t get an 85” telly in ours!

41D71E19-5218-46A6-8E51-1E3736AAEFB6.jpeg

Pay the £10 gets rid of all the hassle and possible interior damage when loading/unloading. Probably a windy/gusty day just to add to the risk factor.
Any damage could cost hundreds to rectify or cost when sale times comes.

cheers

simon
If it’s any help, Wickes sell 6’ x 2’ sheets of ply in a range of thicknesses. They definitely fit in my Ocean.

Order more than £75 of materials from Wickes for free delivery. £4 min delivery charge.

Back