Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion v 5th seat

HugoFar said:
bvddobb said:
I have a 2008 4Motion Cali, [...]
[...] Is there anything in particular I should look out for with this year? [...]
Thanks
We have had no issues with it thus far. We have taken it off road quite often on tough roads. It's past the 100.000 km now, and apart from scheduled dealer maintenance and the odd light bulb replacement we have no repair history with the car (yet). It's the most dependable car we have ever had. It is the only car we have, so we use it as our daily drive as well.

Also, thus far, we have been spared the roof corrosion issues (knock on wood...). Our car is always in the garage when we don't use it, perhaps that helps.

Here in NL we cannot place a 5th seat, even though we have three rails. It would fit, but the car's registration only allows four seats/people in the car... Don't know about your situation with registration etc.

Thanks for the replies. It seems there's nothing in particular to look for that's unique to the 2008 4motion Cali.
In NZ the importers have only just started bringing new ones in again after a few years of no imports. They are pretty costly here. A 2014 4motion Cali SE is NZD $131,000. (UK64,750 and Euro 81,666.). Second hand ones sure hold their value often due to scarcity. This 6 year old Cali is on the market for $70,000NZD.(UK 34,600). (actually $75,000, but the dealer's reduced it)
It would be a step back in model year from my 2010 4motion 6 speed Multivan. Big decisions. I grew up camping in a 1971 VW T2 Dormobile Camper. It was in our family for 34 years. Lot's of great memories. So this 08 Cali 4motion is pretty attractive but a huge cost.

Where are you in NZ?
Toured both islands for three months in 1999/2000 (NYE in Christchurch); absolutely loved it. A Cali would be great there but I'd definitely want 4motion.

4 Motion delivered 1st Dec. 2 rails only.

KernowLad said:
Where are you in NZ?
Toured both islands for three months in 1999/2000 (NYE in Christchurch); absolutely loved it. A Cali would be great there but I'd definitely want 4motion.

We're in Nelson now after years in Wellington. Nelson's a wonderful sunny place, near a few National Parks.
Christchurch got hit by a some big earthquakes a few years ago so you wouldn't recognize it now. Mostly the CBD is a construction site and the roads are still terrible. A place to avoid these days.
Agree that NZ is an awesome place for a Cali cruise.

Having had both a 5th seater and now a 4motion I would definately go for the 4motion. It drives much better and theoretically you can retrofit the extra seat but definately not the 4 motion. The extra seat is a pain to fit and takes up a lot of space. It's a comfy chair in the garage tho!

Hi All,

I have a 2009 4motion that I have brought a 5th seat for that fits but does not slide
back far enough to lock it in properly, seems there is something in the rails to stop it sliding back and it also stops me sliding the original double seat fully forward..

Probably a simple job, but could someone please advise on how to fix this?

Thanks

You just need to remove the stops in the rail. Where did you have the extra rail fitted?

Our stop for the bed position is in the rail nearest the kitchen units so 5th seat goes into the 2 rails nearest the sliding door without removing it. We do have to remove the parcel shelf while fitting the seat to get the bench seat far enough back, out of its way.

I wanted 5th seat and I wanted 4-motion. However, I wanted 4-motion a lot more than 5th seat so it was an easy choice. Reason - usability in ice, snow, mud.

I've had a Vw camper for thirty years,type 2,t25,t4 and now a California,I maybe could have done with 4x4 2 or 3 times,however I have needed to seat 5 hundreds of times.

It's going to NZ with the Beach as I may need it with my parents out there. Shame the 2 seat beach doesn't come with a shorter multiflex board as it would improve cabin space. Probably best to remove m/f board for daily use if 5th seat installed. More California debris in the garage :doh

Thanks for the adoption offer though :thanks

Andy

Did the Beach go to NZ with you and if so is it still here? If so, it could be the only one in the country. Hugo

I had the same problem and decided on 4-motion. The 5th seat looks like a big compromise, and for me it would either be in the way all the time or be a hassle fitting it and removing it. I definitely wouldn't give up 4x4.

Did the Beach go to NZ with you and if so is it still here? If so, it could be the only one in the country. Hugo
Hugo.

Yes it's here in NZ on Kapiti Coast. Built a prototype pod for self containment and should have it certified soon.

I've seen a couple of the common Californias around Wellington, but no Beaches:D

We have had no issues with it thus far. We have taken it off road quite often on tough roads. It's past the 100.000 km now, and apart from scheduled dealer maintenance and the odd light bulb replacement we have no repair history with the car (yet). It's the most dependable car we have ever had. It is the only car we have, so we use it as our daily drive as well.

Also, thus far, we have been spared the roof corrosion issues (knock on wood...). Our car is always in the garage when we don't use it, perhaps that helps.

Here in NL we cannot place a 5th seat, even though we have three rails. It would fit, but the car's registration only allows four seats/people in the car... Don't know about your situation with registration etc.

Hi bvddobb
We are reconsidering purchasing this 2008 4Motion Cali. One obvious concern is the roof rust issue. I took photos of the top corners of the windscreen and when zoomed in it looks like there may have been repairs already around the windscreen. Are the body work upper windscreen corners on your 2008 Cali tidy right angles,or do they have filled in,curved,slightly messy corners? As it a v1 of the Cali there are no local vans to compare with. Most here are v2. I hope this makes sense as if it is a repair it doesn't look particularly tidy and gives concern to the quality and extent of repair,if any. Thanks. Hugo

Thanks for the replies. It seems there's nothing in particular to look for that's unique to the 2008 4motion Cali.
In NZ the importers have only just started bringing new ones in again after a few years of no imports. They are pretty costly here. A 2014 4motion Cali SE is NZD $131,000. (UK64,750 and Euro 81,666.). Second hand ones sure hold their value often due to scarcity. This 6 year old Cali is on the market for $70,000NZD.(UK 34,600). (actually $75,000, but the dealer's reduced it)
It would be a step back in model year from my 2010 4motion 6 speed Multivan. Big decisions. I grew up camping in a 1971 VW T2 Dormobile Camper. It was in our family for 34 years. Lot's of great memories. So this 08 Cali 4motion is pretty attractive but a huge cost.
Hugo,

I bought my Beach demonstrator tax free in UK and exported it to NZ (about £1200 to ship and additional costs + 15% gst when it arrived). Beach doesn't attract additional 10% motor home tax - no permanent sink, toilet, cooker. Have you thought about VAT qualifying demonstrator and arranging import yourself?

Check the VW UK website for VAT qualifying vehicles.

Andy

Hugo,

I bought my Beach demonstrator tax free in UK and exported it to NZ (about £1200 to ship and additional costs + 15% gst when it arrived). Beach doesn't attract additional 10% motor home tax - no permanent sink, toilet, cooker. Have you thought about VAT qualifying demonstrator and arranging import yourself?

Check the VW UK website for VAT qualifying vehicles.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the suggestion and info. NZCol, who I know from our Wellington days suggested the same thing, and importing a Beach from the UK could work out for us.
Strangely enough the 2008 Cali 4motion that I looked at in Auckland in December just happened to be filling up at the local Service Station here in Nelson 2 days ago. I went over for a chat. The couple that bought it are American visitors on a brief visit to NZ and looking to sell the van back to the dealer,or some one else soonish. (They have their yacht in Sydney which they sailed from the USA.) I imagine, still under 35,000km on the clock and at a lower price. We're having a better look tomorrow here in Nelson.
Hope the Kapiti Coast is going well for you. I lived in Raumati for a while.
Hugo

Hi Hugo,

Our situation has changed in that sense that we too, now, have a little 'cauliflower' (as the Germans call it) developing on our roof spoiler panel... (not yet on the roof itself, all rubber sealings fit tight still).

But we don't worry too much about it. Galvanic corrosion on aluminum car parts is not uncommon. Ask any Landrover owner, and you will hear a lot about it :) (there is even some mention of that on this forum somewhere.) We have never seen it develop holes or weaken the structure. Perhaps not too nice cosmetically, but not a real structural worry. We feel there is too much noise about it, really.

An untidy repair is something else. But then, essentially, not again: not nice cosmetically, perhaps, but it doesn't hamper any of the great possibilities your van will give you! It is all in the eye of the beholder...

At last someone who understands what Galvanic Corrosion is. :thumb. Should not be a deal breaker, but should have been repaired to a decent level of finish so could be taken into account when deciding what to pay, and certainly will have no effect on function. Just think of the adventures you will have.:)

Back