Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion v 5th seat

R

Rich Corrado

WHY WHY WHY???????

Why cant I have the 5th seat with the 4Motion?

Just when I thought I had made my mind up Oli has dropped a bomb shell on me!

OK I'm going to moan and complain and see if it gets me anywhere but if I have to choose which should I go for?

I have two kids so I don't need the 5th seat but it would be very handy at times.

What would you guys go for?

I would go for the 5 seat as I can manage without 4x4
But its personal preference :thumb

Well I would do the opposite as I can't do without the 4 motion as I use my cali exclusively in the wild and I can't count the times it saved me from being stuck in the mud / sand.... Or helped me access rocky paths

I've found the 4Motion absolutely invaluable in ice and snow and from time to time on boggy ground but I miss having a 5th seat a lot (grandchildren things).

I think I'd go for the 5th seat but it's a close one for me.

My local dealer advised against the 5th seat unless you're absolutely certain you will use it. He reckoned it was too much hassle to remove and refit, and most of them ended up gathering dust in the garage. I've no idea if this is true but it sounds plausible.

Pineweasel said:
My local dealer advised against the 5th seat unless you're absolutely certain you will use it. He reckoned it was too much hassle to remove and refit, and most of them ended up gathering dust in the garage. I've no idea if this is true but it sounds plausible.

Its heavy, but very easy to do :thumb

Pineweasel said:

The additional seats are probably best suited to the five seater Beach with the 3 seat bench and those who it as a Kombi or Caravelle with occasional camping. The multifex board is shorter which results in a larger middle cabin and smaller boot.

My dealer gave me a fifth seat, unwanted by an SE owner, that is sat on top of a pile of 4 winter tyres in my garage. It spent two days in my Cali Beach (2 seat bench) and its sat in the garage even since. I fear I will never use it but reluctant to part with it at the moment!

Andy

Goldie said:
Pineweasel said:

The additional seats are probably best suited to the five seater Beach with the 3 seat bench and those who it as a Kombi or Caravelle with occasional camping. The multifex board is shorter which results in a larger middle cabin and smaller boot.

My dealer gave me a fifth seat, unwanted by an SE owner, that is sat on top of a pile of 4 winter tyres in my garage. It spent two days in my Cali Beach (2 seat bench) and its sat in the garage even since. I fear I will never use it but reluctant to part with it at the moment!

Andy

Offer it up if you want Andy to us 3 seater owners - if you want

:)

James

Does the pro shaft to the rear wheels run under the floor where the third rail need's to be? It was one of the theories I had when the catalogue stated no fifth seat. However it seems the most recent Cali's are arriving with the third rail in situ despite not being requested (though I cannot confirm this as fact) and might be the same on the 4x4. Need someone who has taken recent delivery of a new 4x4 Cali to confirm or disprove this.

Andy80F

Sent from an iPad using Tapatalk

James said:
Goldie said:
Pineweasel said:

Andy

Offer it up if you want Andy to us 3 seater owners - if you want

:)

James
It's going to NZ with the Beach as I may need it with my parents out there. Shame the 2 seat beach doesn't come with a shorter multiflex board as it would improve cabin space. Probably best to remove m/f board for daily use if 5th seat installed. More California debris in the garage :doh

Thanks for the adoption offer though :thanks

Andy

2013 4motion delivered 6 weeks ago with 2 rails.

NZCol said:
2013 4motion delivered 6 weeks ago with 2 rails.

2 rails? so no extra seat.

Thats what we are saying isnt it?

No 5th seat, it's an option but i never ordered one.

Yes, thats standard in all California's but you cant have the 5th seat option in the 4 Motion

I'll take your word for it, i didn;t need one and the options list i got here in NZ had every permutation on it irrespective of it was actually possible so I would have no idea. My 4m has 2 rails though :lol:

I have a 2008 4Motion Cali, and that has 3 rails... Still, wouldn't know what to do with it: my license ID documents for the car state that the max number seats is 4, I would need a separate admission test to have a 5th seat in.

OK, just to stir it up a bit I have got a 2010 Cali 4 Motion WITH a 5th Seat :eek:

:bananadance :bananadance

The are not part of the 4 Motion option package because, (I think), it takes it over its unladen weight limit.

Like several of you here I wanted a 4 motion with a 5th seat, so made it a condition for ordering a new one that a 3rd rail & 5th Seat would be sourced & fitted by the dealer after delivery.

So they ordered an extra 5th seat (same spec as ones in Cali) for one of their other Caravelles, and the parts needed to put the rail in. AND yes, it is possible to fit the 3rd Rail in the 4Motion Cali. BUT (before anybody asks) it is not an easy job to do & the parting shot from the dealership when I picked the van up was that there was no way they would ever be doing that again. :cry:

So the end result is that I have got (probably) one of the only recent 4Motions with a 5th Seat option. (and yes, the seat does spend most of its time sat in the garage but is very useful when I need the extra seat when using the Cali in Caravelle mode (especially at Xmas time :smile )

I have also fitted spare wheel carrier & spare wheel (also not an option on the larger wheeled Cali's) and (of course) uprated the rear suspension to take all this extra weight (well worth it) :thumb

:cool:

No doubt it is technically possible, but in France it's "forbidden" as it exceed the weight limits....

I bought a fifth seat (second-hand, needless to say!) and - although I've only used it once, for the rest of the time it lives in my music room and makes a perfect chair for playing guitar! You can't do that with 4-motion! Or can you?

I have a late 2007 4 motion with 3 rails and bought a new 5th seat off eBay for £70 fits and with matching inca seat covers looks great . I have advise the insurance company who were fine with it. It is very useful when picking up kids friends or mother in law but it is heavy so would not use it fully loaded.

bvddobb said:
I have a 2008 4Motion Cali, and that has 3 rails... Still, wouldn't know what to do with it: my license ID documents for the car state that the max number seats is 4, I would need a separate admission test to have a 5th seat in.

I'm looking at buying the same vehicle as yours here in NZ, a 2008 Cali 4motion. Only has 30,000km's on the clock and looks in perfect condition and seems well maintained.
Is there anything in particular I should look out for with this year? This one has a third rail and we've test fitted a third seat with no problems.
Thanks

Hi
I have had no issues with mine apart from a small spot of corrosion on the main roof which is a common problem and on the last service there was a leak on the rear dif which needed a new seal £350 i think.
I used mine as a daily driver for the 1st 18 months that I owned it and now just for trips out and camping and it's great I would recommend you buy one and enjoy it and I have found the 5th seat very useful.

Back