Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st Sept Reg issues

Our new vw Passat that we are picking up next week has to be registered before 31 August or the dealership loses £1000 from Vw.They are giving us a very good deal so we don’t mind

I heard the same explanation from a dealer. Our 2017 Cali doesn't have a warning light or alarm if the front seat passenger doesn't put a belt on which surprised me as I thought all vehicles had to.
I was told that legislation was on the way, but I hadn't realised that it would apply to the rear seats too.
MY22 Californias now have a warning for rear passengers

Speak to the dealer principle and say that the difference in plates will make a difference in resale value and ask him to do something to easy this situation. They might be able to help out with a service plan or some accessories.
I would explain that if they delivered when they said they would you wouldn’t be having the conversation because you would have had a couple of holidays in it.

It is the seat belt issue and not a dealer issue -VW have confirmed so a little bit disappointed so it is what it is so will collect and enjoy and see what accessories I can get out of them. VW are saying that any California that have same issue that are in the country before 31st Aug will have to be registered before the 1st. No idea what will happen if any arrive after the 1st Sept with the same issue as VW where talking about an IVA process ? There must be a way around it to suit themselves no doubt

It is the seat belt issue and not a dealer issue -VW have confirmed so a little bit disappointed so it is what it is so will collect and enjoy and see what accessories I can get out of them. VW are saying that any California that have same issue that are in the country before 31st Aug will have to be registered before the 1st. No idea what will happen if any arrive after the 1st Sept with the same issue as VW where talking about an IVA process ? There must be a way around it to suit themselves no doubt
I suppose they expect all MY21s (built until end June) to be in the U.K. by then...seems a bit tight on time though

Long time viewer first time poster. Like so many who have ordered a new van and have been waiting a time for it to be delivered, I have experienced long periods of no updates from dealer then mid July the update was they didn’t know when the vehicle was to arrive and then be informed beginning of August at port and then within a week at dealership. So me thinking it was reasonable after cancelling sites booked in August following the we don’t know when the vehicle is coming email to wait a couple of weeks for the new registration plate on 1st Sept then it would be reasonable for the dealership to accommodate - apparently not. Being advised (by only the dealer) there is an order on the vehicle that it must be registered in August and it is impossible to register in Sept. Anyone heard of this or going through same thing?
Phoned DVLA and they are not aware of any order by DVLA currently on VW California’s and VW customer care are next to useless and they are not aware of it and say liaise with dealer. Any info would be appreciated
We had much the same story when we ordered our T6, it was supposed to be available mid March which we had planned for and it arrived in the first week of January! we were told by the agent salesman that we had to have it by the end of January or the deal was off! no amount of talking altered their stance, and to add insult to it they managed to register it to my hubby not me : they didn't seem to grasp that it was my present to myself on getting my lump sum from my pension! A complete mess up by the sales staff at JCT 600 Sheffield, who just assumed he would have the responsibility not me.
The collection was a frosty affair and we didn't really get any proper hand over since the salesman was unable to rectify the fact that he had managed to register the California to my hubby not me, on a date several weeks prior to when it was required. No apology was proffered, it would seem that the sale was needed to go into some quota that the agent needed to achieve. needless to say the car is registered in the "68" year not the "69" we had anticipated. .

Christine yours is exactly the opposite of the OP, you were expecting it in March & we’re forced to take it early.
The OP was expecting it earlier and now it’s turned up has decided he doesn’t want it yet.
In your case I think the dealer was being unreasonable. I don’t understand why the OP thinks he’s entitled to compensation for not taking his van when it’s available.

Long time viewer first time poster. Like so many who have ordered a new van and have been waiting a time for it to be delivered, I have experienced long periods of no updates from dealer then mid July the update was they didn’t know when the vehicle was to arrive and then be informed beginning of August at port and then within a week at dealership. So me thinking it was reasonable after cancelling sites booked in August following the we don’t know when the vehicle is coming email to wait a couple of weeks for the new registration plate on 1st Sept then it would be reasonable for the dealership to accommodate - apparently not. Being advised (by only the dealer) there is an order on the vehicle that it must be registered in August and it is impossible to register in Sept. Anyone heard of this or going through same thing?
Phoned DVLA and they are not aware of any order by DVLA currently on VW California’s and VW customer care are next to useless and they are not aware of it and say liaise with dealer. Any info would be appreciated
I collected my new T6.1 today and asked about this issue. Apparently it’s real. If you have a build date from the first half of the year then it needs to be registered in the UK before the new plate for all the subtle seat-belt rules mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The alternative is sorting out compliance with the new rules and - frankly - you don’t wanna go there!

I wonder where the cable will be located for the rear seatbelt switches and how that might affect the sliding of the seat?

When will the first “faulty rear seatbelt switch” thread be and how will having the bed folded down and using it affect the inevitable beeping when the ignition is on for whatever reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you will just have to sleep with the bed belts on.
In 2003 we ordered a new VW Beetle Convertible which we wanted in March 2004 so that we would get the 04 plate. The car came in January 2004 but the dealer let me know it was in and said he could deliver it early but was just as happy to wait until March 2004. It seems now dealers are just too interested in chasing the end of month bonus.
I think a lot of the problem with dealers is the Calis are on long lead time once in stock they can sell them many times over so if you don’t take it they are not bothered. I also feel that VW Commercial dealers generally sell to fleet buyer and so are not used to dealing with individuals that have saved up to purchase an expensive vehicle that they are looking to keep for longer than a fleet vehicle.

I wonder where the cable will be located for the rear seatbelt switches and how that might affect the sliding of the seat?
Or removing the seat. Bring up a warning as the one if passenger seat unplugged and ignition turned on needing a reset.
Wait and see?

One aspect of having Dealer reg the Cali & then you re-reg is that it will be classed as 2nd user by any New for Old Insurance cover (GAP Insurance).

Or removing the seat. Bring up a warning as the one if passenger seat unplugged and ignition turned on needing a reset.
Wait and see?

Yep this is another potential issue, hopefully VW will have thought of this and you are still able to remove the seat unit if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I collected my new Cali from the dealer yesterday (hooray!) and asked them about the seatbelt issue, out of interest. It seems it is a real issue as at 1/9/21 and the work-around being considered is retro-fitting the sensors as an upgrade. This modification will be reportable to insurers (and probably not as good as the factory fit). Sounds like a nightmare … very happy to have mine registered this week!

How will warnings work for removable seats?
Vw probably don’t know hence the rush to get the vans registered.
It’s not just calis, caravelles, kombi, and transporters can all have removable seats so it’s probably quite a big problem.

Maybe a BlueTooth Module with a battery in it, only serviceable by VW as a main dealer service :)

Collected ours today and more than happy with not much joy on accessories and not that I thought I was entitled (as implied by a previous post from someone) but thought I would ask because I was given the run around something chronic - it was only the info from this forum that gave the answer to what I was asking between dealer, DVLA and VWCC. Why or how VWCC couldn’t advise me is crazy as it is affecting quite a few vehicles but anyway many thanks for info

Back